Author Topic: How can this be fair?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
How can this be fair?
« on: August 25, 2012, 13:31:30 PM »
In January my daughter was starting a new job. She was having a leaving do from her old firm before having a weeks holiday and starting her new job.
She went to a rather well known salon in Liverpool and had her hair coloured. The hairdresser applied the dye and in due course it was rinsed off. It was not the colour it was supposed to be, so the hairdresser said she would try again. My daughter asked if that was safe and was told of course. After having it done she left the salon. Next morning she was complaining that her scalp was hurting., but had to go into work on her last day. Two days later I took her to hospital because her scalp was red raw.The doctor on duty told her that she would have to have her head shaved because she had chemical burns!!She refused to have her hair shaved (she was due to start her new job in a weeks time). She was given anti-histomines, pain killers and antibiotics. She spoke to the salon about this matter, to warn them about the dye. The owner of the salon did not call her as promised, so my daughter sued the salon.
The case was settled this week and my daughter was awarded £750. Sounds reasonable until she got a letter from the solicitors, stating that the settlement was £1750, but their fees were £1000. She was agast at these charges.. By the way her new job? A trainee solicitor.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: How can this be fair?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 15:22:42 PM »
Nothing to worry about there then, is there?? Once she has qualified, SHE can do what ALL Solicitors do, charge extortionate amounts of money for very little work. Live with it !!

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
Welcome to the World of legalised theft, all these ambulance chasers direct are the same, they will take extortionate fees for winning the case. In general legal fees have become astronomical in our get rich quick loadsamoney and to hell with everyone society. Has she considered somethin more honorable like a Policeperson, after all they are never accused of fiddling their expenses, taking bribes, lying and cheating ----- er, no, perhaps not! So a Political career it is then caring for fellow man, working tirelessly for the community,
voting in your own pay rises, fiddling youe expenses ---- oh dear --! :D

Hmmm perhaps a career in Business, get in with one of the Accountancy firms, become a Consulotant there, after all you dont have to know anything! (I threw a "Consultant" from a major firm out of my office when she admitted she had graduated 3 months before --- wow, wish I could learn everything in 3 months!) Ohm by the way employ akl the teenagers you can --- while they still know everything!  ;D

I know, just be a thief, simple, take what you want, hurt who you want, might be a bit of community service along the way?  ;)

Seriously this is really not fiunny, and I feel for her, the Courts only take damages claims seriously if you are famous and the Legals can get their name in the Papers!

Sigh, when I am King --- ALL THIS WILL CHANGE! 8)

Offline patrice

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 13:07:48 PM »
Poor girl how awful  :(

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 14:36:04 PM »
I'm fearful that there maybe 48 more J T's yet to surface......

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
I'm fearful that there maybe 48 more J T's yet to surface......
No, I had Prince Luigi pay them a visit  :)

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 13:25:11 PM »
Solicitors are absolute angels compared to insolvency practitioners. Administrators of bankrupt companies pay themselves unbelievably ridiculous fees then inform all unsecure creditors there will not be a dividend due to a shortfall in realisable assets. I challenged this to find that work carried out by junior staff was charged at....wait for it.....................................£300 per hour. Yes, thats right, £300 per hour!!! The Company? None other than the very reputable Grant Thornton appointed by the bank who had long since been paid in full. I knew the Directors of the company well and they were distraught to hear of creditors receiving nothing and single handedly being blamed for this. GT collected over £300k before the whole matter was resolved. The total assets to be realised around £1million. They realised £600k and helped themselves to £300k.

I am sure this happens everyday but nothing is ever said. As I say, Solicitors are angels by comparison.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 14:20:06 PM »
I suppose the most miraculous creature on earth is the Insurance Loss Adjuster --- they look just like Humans but of course didnt have Fathers   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf