Author Topic: Foreign Council ?  (Read 8465 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Foreign Council ?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
Good idea but I hope that if it happens the council will also have a translator present for the ex pat representative.

Why cant the person just simply learn Turkish? After all if it was the other way around in England, they would be expected to do the same.

Not true I'm afraid as our english multi-cultural driven councils do all they can to translate documents etc. into as many languages as possible (even if there are no speakers of a particular language in the area) and often provide translation services for both individuals and groups.  Apart from the fact that it was the £50 answer to the £1 question, it does mean that people do not bother to learn english, particularly when there is a large, and supportive, group of their own ethnic/language speaking around them .... but you could be right in this making people less inclined to learn Turkish.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »
Maybe the concerns of (say) the Russian community are far different to those of the British community. One foreign person may not easily represent foreigners in Fethiye. I suppose it's better to have it than not though...
I think it is fair to say that my Russian neighbours share much the same views as we Brits on matters local in this area, so assuming we could overcome the not insignificant problem of firstly, communication with one another across the community, and secondly, would the person who sits on the council a representative or a delegate, i.e. s/he is like an MP is seen as representing our views or someone who is a mouthpiece of a mandated view, and thirdly will this person be selected by the council or elected, by the community, if so when, how, where do we vote for the person and for how long?

Having said all that broadly I am in favour of the idea, it's certainly better than what we have currently.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »
This is only a straw poll to find out if there is an interest within the local expats to have a say in local politics.

Nothing has been decided on how anything happens as yet but in an ideal world the twenty reps from various areas of Fethiye and a fair mix of yabanci will be nominated and seconded by the communities and the Chairpersons/spokespersons nominated from within that group
by the members of that group.

Long way to go yet...

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
I’m a great believer of people participation and I would love to have more of a say in local politics. I would personally avoid replicating systems that fit neatly with ideas about how to do things and mimic existing structures simply because we understand them or they are familiar to us.

Relevance, accessibility, openness, transparency, accountability and results would be key issues for me before I gave my time to participate.

Like most people I am interested in some things and not others, and like most people I am more motivated to find the time to take part in things that either interest or are of concern to me and most importantly where I can see that my views are being listened too, taken seriously and actually make a difference.

A model that facilitates and enables relevant people’s participation on the issues they care about and incorporates a range of methods as appropriate to consult and involve them to ensure their views are taken into account would hold more interest for me.

This could include as some have already mentioned, local surgeries, online questionnaires via forums and the local media, interest focus groups, presentations to and meetings with key players or decision makers, petitions etc...

For example street cats and dogs; do we need to consult the whole of the local population to know what the issues are and what can be done to improve the situation? No! We already have local Vets, the staff at the shelter, Animal Aid and probably there are local Turkish organisations or Turkish interest groups too with a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the situation and what needs to be done.

Or what about access issues for people with disabilities re pavements and roads, public transport, hotels, bars and restaurants, public buildings like schools, Government offices, banks and shops etc. Who would I consult? People with disabilities and their Carers and local support or interest groups that probably already exist!

On issues like cleaning up the shoreline of litter in this area or how should Fethiye develop and promote itself as a centre for Tourism then wider consultations of all local people, environment groups, businesses, tourists even, would be more valid and relevant.

Just to add that Turkish people as well as foreigners should be involved in these processes. I think that there may be an assumption that local Turks are involved in decision making in their communities but I doubt very much that they are.

Also there is nothing wrong with having information available in more than one language if you want people to be able to participate as opposed to just paying lip service to the idea. The 65 year old ex pats in Fethiye probably have just as much difficulty learning fluent Turkish as the 65 year old ex pats in the UK do learning fluent English!

Anyway just my initial thoughts and just to add that whatever way/s forward is adopted it looks like hell of a lot of work for some people and I would suggest that someone with a working knowledge of people’s participation is employed to facilitate the process.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 15:27:04 PM »
I used to live in Alanya and there's something similar.

A foreign residents committee has been set up and twice a week they hold office in a municipality building where residents can express their requests or problems.

The committee is like an intermediate between the Alanya council and the foreign residents.

More info on this link http://sunsearch.info/turkey/alanya/guide/foreign-residents-committe/

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 15:30:12 PM »
Some of the members of the Alanya committee speak Turkish but most don't.
It's also not necessary since they don't have direct interaction with the council.

In the way Tinkerman proposes, being fluent in Turkish would be necessary in order to follow what's being said in the council meetings.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 15:36:41 PM »
I vote for Dutchie

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 17:07:28 PM »
ha ha
Thanks but no thanks.

I think the position is more suitable for retirees.
They have plenty of time which I don't have unfortunately  :(

Offline barry44544

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »
Is this Democratic? Will there be Elections? Will there be different candidates?
Do you know how many Expat's there are and where they all live?
Do you think you will represent my views concerning the area I live in?
Will the view's of property owners not in full time residence be given the same vote?

Offline cathy h

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
Sorry to be a little late in replying to this topic Andy. I do agree with the idea of a facility which can enable foreign residents/home owners to voice opinions or concerns on issues affecting them. Also as a means to receive accurate information on local issues as opposed to the old Chinese whispers. As already stated, there are numerous pitfalls but if a balanced approach can be achieved, I think that all members of the local community will benefit.
Cathy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf