Author Topic: Disappointing Boat trip with Jerry's Boats  (Read 10993 times)

Offline jonuzumlu

Disappointing Boat trip with Jerry's Boats
« on: October 04, 2012, 16:34:22 PM »
Yesterday I did my third trip of the season  with Jerry’s boats, having  enthused at length to my guests that it was the best boat trip available from Fethiye.
On arrival we were informed that we would be using Jerry’s second boat and that his son would be skipper. We set off, but almost from the outset the engine sounded rough. Our first stop was the rabbit island. We were told we were having a 30 min swimming stop. The skipper and his friend lifted the engine hatch and at about the same time the boat skippered by Jerry drew in to the bay and a lengthy conversation via mobile ensued between the two skippers.
Both boats remained in the bay for about an hour until a speed boat arrived bearing 2 men carrying a large tool box. At this point Jerry sailed out of the bay. Two new oil filters and five litres of oil later the engine was restarted. Our boat managed to proceed about two hundred metres to the next bay before we again stopped, the engine hatch was removed and engine work restarted. At this point the barbecue was lit and an extremely lengthy lunch ensued. The mechanics were fed and then left.
Our boat set off in to the bay and we then anchored  about 300 metres off  the resorts at Yaniklar and  were told it  was a fishing stop. I tried to get information from the crew but was given no response. We were then offered cake and the boat set off back towards the Letoonia resort, where the engine again stopped. By this time it was approximately 5.00pm and another short wait ensued until Jerry arrived with his passengers and we were then towed back to Fethiye.
All the passengers (11) were fairly disgruntled by this time and it was universally agreed that we should pay for our drinks, but seek a discount on the trip. This was put to the skipper but he advised that we should see Jerry. At this point all four groups of passengers paid for their drinks.
As soon as we moored, Jerry boarded the boat and explained that there had been a problem with an oil pipe and he had not realised how serious it was or he would have amalgamated the passengers on to one boat. I then suggested we should be offered a discount as our trip had been so disastrous .Jerry’s response was that we should just pay for the food.
This offer seemed very generous  to everyone so I asked how much that would be .  Jerry’s response was “39 lira”. At first I thought he was joking but quickly realised he was not. I then suggested 20lira, half the regular fare. At this point Jerry suddenly became aggressive and shouted that this was insulting to him and that we should pay him nothing but get off of his boat. Passengers tried to reason with him but he refused to take any money and continued to insist people get off his boat. Eventually all the passengers left.
When I was about 15 metres from the boat Jerry called my name and as I turned he shouted at me to F... off and never speak to him again
I am still totally perplexed by his behaviour.
All the passengers were very polite in their complaints and most were repeat customers. Several had seen their trip with Jerry as a highlight of their holiday and it is appalling that customers can be treated in this way
 :( :-[

Offline Mark G

Re: Disappointing Boat trip with Jerry's Boats
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 17:23:07 PM »
Good informative post jonuzumlu, I for one will now make sure I never use this person or his boats.

We have used Alis (Calis water taxi) for boat trips on a couple of occasions and we have been more than satisfied with the whole deal. I can highly recommend him and the boat.............Alis1. The boat is new (about April 2012), Alis himself is a very nice young man, and the food on the boat trip which is cooked by Alis's mum is absolutely wonderful.

I think that last post above just goes to show that some people, (certainly not all) not only in Turkey but in other places as well where foreigners live or holiday, make out to be your best friend while all is going well and they are making money out of you, but as soon as that money supply line stops, or there is a complaint, you are not a friend anymore and they will not only drop you like a stone, but they can be nasty with it too.

We had an experience like this with another guy called Gohkan who used to drum up business for one of the boat trips out of Oludeniz. When we complained to him about a terrible fiasco we were just conned and dropped like we never existed.

Just when you think you can trust and rely on someone, something like this happens to bring you back to Earth, they are just business people at the end of the day and a lot of the time it's money they want and not friendship.

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 17:50:14 PM »
we always go with alis 1 we have a lovely time . we dance take our own music. he's new boat is wonderful. maria ali's mum does lovely food

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 19:29:41 PM »
That is indeed a sad story but I can't understand it.  Jerry usually bends over backwards to make sure his customers are happy.  Many people will tell you that.  There's no real excuse for speaking to you that way or behaving like that but if there were I suppose it might be extreme pressure.  Think about your previous experiences with Jerry.  I bet he would apologise to you now if he saw you.  Just a thought.

Offline jonuzumlu

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 20:21:29 PM »
All my previous experience of Jerry has been positive and I have had no hesitation in recommending him to other people. However his response to yesterday's problems totally ruined an already frustrating day for both myself and the other passengers.
Mindful of the fact that most of my guests only get one holiday a year in Fethiye and wanting to make their experience a happy one ,I will hopefully find a captain who is able to provide a consistent professional service to customers

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 23:12:41 PM »
Well we went out in August with Captain Tom on Sea Breeze (or sea something anyway) just down from the water taxi stop in Fethiye.  He was great.  Small boat and you can hire the whole thing.  He did tell us quite a lot about his wife and then about his russian girlfriend but it was quite amusing.  Friendly bloke and great barbecue.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 23:17:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of your experience John.  We've never had a trip with Jerry so can't comment on his service although he does have great reviews on the forum.

On our last visit we had the pleasure of going out with Alis on his new boat.  I can honestly say it was the best boat trip we've had in Turkey.  A fantastic day, a bigger style taxi boat which he doesn't fill and fabulous food by Mum.  Would definitely recommend giving this your lad a try.

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 23:29:48 PM »
Where does Alis leave from Anne?

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 23:36:59 PM »
You'll find him by the canal along with the other water taxis.
I did have a card but have left it in our apartment so can't give his number.
His name is Ali Tuğsat and the boat is Alis1

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 23:57:35 PM »
Brenda was glad you invited her Anne and thoroughly enjoyed the trip with Ali and said the food was very good ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf