Author Topic: New Fethiye Park now open. Photos.  (Read 12445 times)

Offline janmack

Re: New Fethiye Park now open. Photos.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 00:16:23 AM »
Looked nice tonight and really, really hope they keep up the maintenance of the area :)  Would guess they have to work out when to have fountains/pumps etc running to keep costs down...so probably not working most of the time ???

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
We wonder what the local Turkish people think of the new park and the way Fethiye is developing?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
Doğan and the team went along the other night after work and thought it looked really nice.

I have reservations myself.

The huge white expanse of nothing opposite the culture centre which I assume is intended for audience events seating is an eyesore. I wonder how many events there will be to justify such a large area of open space being dedicated to nothing.

I was very disappointed when I went yesterday to see the "park" area which is opposite the Mcdonalds and is actually rather small.

The seating areas all around have no where to plant shrubs in to the ground (being concrete or whatever) to create much needed shade if they are to be useful.

I haven't been in the evening yet and I am sure it is very pretty when all the lights and fountains are working but I observed that already the water was beginning to look dirty.

The shrubs that mimic dolphins and swans etc personally I didn't like and were in need of a trim already. I prefer nature to look natural.

Slightly off topic, a law suit has been taken out against the plans to build a massive shopping centre where the old wholesale vegetable market used to be. Shopkeepers with small outlets in town are rightly concerned that the new shopping centre and the sort of big business that will only be able to afford the rents will keep people out of town and their businesses will suffer.

This is currently a nation where (and I am guessing here) a majority of the population are "shopkeepers" small entrepreneurs, self employed earning a living with little shops and outlets selling all sorts of things from, kebabs, shoe repair, knife sharpening, non brand clothes, household wares, stationery.

I understand the desire for modernization but wonder how the individuals and small shopkeepers will survive once their livelihoods are threatened in the name of progress!

I also wonder how long before the rents of the restaurants and bars along the strip by the culture centre go up!

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
A very informative post Nichola. What is happening in Fethiye today is what happened in the UK many years ago, and the small businesses have every right to be concerned. Supermarkets, Shopping Centres and out of town shopping in any order make it very difficult for small traders as the " big ones" don't just want a fair share, they want all the business. Yes we have seen it all happen very quickly in Fethiye. Out of town can decimate a town centre very quickly even in a large place like Fethiye. You can see out of town happening on the Antalya Road and would suspect that will continue as in town land/rate costs escalate. The area around the old fruit market has also been upgraded and some prominent businesses have opened nearby.

On a positive side, though big changes and losses to the small business community will happen, the strong and efficient will always find a niche and prosper.

On a negative side it is a long hard road for those small businesses and as the "big boys" start to compete for the biggest share the road becomes very hard.

Us! 31 years self employed small retail business, and so pleased to be out!   

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
Interesting fact Doğan just shared with me is that Fethiye has more supermarkets (Migros, Şok, Bim, Kipa, Tansaş, Dia, etc) per registered population than anywhere else in Turkey!

Also an update on the shopping centre is that because of the court case no construction companies have registered an interest in building it - case expected to take about about two years to reach a conclusion.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »
Call me a dinosaur, but I preferred it the old way - grass, shrubs, and little bufes tucked here and there.  To be fair, I haven't seen it at night but during the day it looks stark and characterless.

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »
Big Big plus for Fethiye V Supermarkets Nichola is that the population is still growing very fast, and hopefully the Turkish powers that are can manage the problem better than the UK where every main street ending up full of multiples and all the looking much the same.  :)

Interesting fact Doğan just shared with me is that Fethiye has more supermarkets (Migros, Şok, Bim, Kipa, Tansaş, Dia, etc) per registered population than anywhere else in Turkey

Offline quackers

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 16:40:35 PM »
A lot of the lıttle eatıng place near the schools wıll lose out when all the schools move to Uzumlu. Does anyone know ıf ıt ıs correct that the schools area ıs to be a shoppıng complex as well.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 21:37:18 PM »
The schools are moving to Uzumlu????:o  No, I think they are moving to Catalarik near the rescue.   A couple are already there, not sure how many more.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 21:42:50 PM »
how amazing cannot wait to see them at night

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf