Author Topic: Price of Rail Tickets  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Price of Rail Tickets
« on: October 19, 2012, 17:19:10 PM »
At the Tory Party conference George Osborne promised to put a cap on some price increases to stop rail travellers being charged proposed steep increases. He has led the way today by trying to cap his own rail fare. He has been caught riding in a first class compartment on a second ("standard" ;) class ticket. He was forced to pay an extra 160 quid since, obviously, he is far too grand to ride with we ordinary folk and so refused to move to class of seat for which he had paid.

We have gotten used to successive Home Secretaries being taken to court for breaking the law. We have now got a Chancellor who doesn't pay the proper price for what he buys. Fare dodging cheat! I wouldn't blame Virgin (it was a Virgin he was cheating) taking a severe view of this and deciding to prosecute - considering the treatment they have received from the government.

Offline ronzeus

Re: Price of Rail Tickets
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 17:27:09 PM »
Not exclusive to the one party ,Miliband and his aides did the same last year.They are all as bad as one another.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
The whole thing is a sign of how bad our society now is! We are a sick and doomed society in tyhe UK if there is not radical change. Woukd the British really rally behind a "revolutionary Banner", surely not --- not the British way is it?? Well, why not! Perhaps we should consider a "silver revolution" and seek a new society rather than a big one  :)

Come on, there has to be a modern Robert Catesby and Guido Ffaulkes out there somewhere -- Revolution!

"Che"

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 13:04:35 PM »
Virgin Trains statement

Rt Hon George Osborne, Chancellor, was travelling on Virgin Trains’ 15:11 Wilmslow to London Euston service this afternoon (19 October).

The Chancellor, who was travelling in First Class accommodation, held a Standard Class ticket.

As soon as the train left Wilmslow an aide went to find the Train Manager to explain the situation and arrange to pay for an upgrade. It was agreed that the Chancellor would remain in First Class and an amount of £189.50 was paid by the aide to cover the upgrade for Mr Osborne and his PA.

The situation was dealt with amicably between the Train Manager and George Osborne’s aide. At no time was there a disagreement or a refusal to pay for the upgrade. Nor was there any discussion between the Train Manager and Mr Osborne.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 13:13:28 PM »
Why pay for first class when you can pay for second class and just sit in first class? Since we pay the expenses of those who govern us, I commend George Osborne for his actions of austerity in these difficult times.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
Of course if the train staff had just assumed he held a 1st class ticket and didnt check no doubt
Mr. Osborne would have insisted on paying for the upgrade.

Yeahhhh!

I have always found the words honest and politician to be mutually exxclusive!  >:(

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
I know I'm going to regret this Johntaylor49, but having read Virgin Trains Statement, what are you accusing Mr. Osborne of.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 13:40:34 PM »
Of course if the train staff had just assumed he held a 1st class ticket and didnt check no doubt
Mr. Osborne would have insisted on paying for the upgrade.

Yeahhhh!

I have always found the words honest and politician to be mutually exxclusive!  >:(

Honest and Politician, H P, sounds like old sauce to me, although it does have the houses of parliament on the bottle.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
I know I'm going to regret this Johntaylor49, but having read Virgin Trains Statement, what are you accusing Mr. Osborne of.

No you're not, I hate to admit it-- my blind dislike of Politicians I didn't read it so I will say thate he did nothing wrong here, still dont trust him!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
Weren't they told that first class rail travel was unacceptable, after the expenses scandals?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf