Author Topic: Girida Balik Restaurant - BEWARE!!!!  (Read 5028 times)

Offline hillside

Girida Balik Restaurant - BEWARE!!!!
« on: October 22, 2012, 17:58:24 PM »
We decided to give this restaurant a try last week as it seemed to come well recommended.  We understood it is owned by the fisherman’s co-operative and sells the local fish caught that day in the bay.

We arrived at the restaurant and were surprised at how well presented it was. The waiter arrived at our table and apologized that there was no menu and we said we understand -  we look in the fridge. There were a few different types of fish in the fridge, but only one type big enough for us to share. We ordered a medium size fish, the waiter put it on the scales, but we didn’t see the weight. We sat back and enjoyed a nice meal – 2 spring rolls, 8 small prawns, mussel kebab, the fish, salad a few chips, 1 efes and 2 rakis.

The bill arrived, total 155TL. On examination we saw, shock horror – 72TL for the one fish!!  We have been visiting Fethiye for 13 years and now visit 4 times a year so we have some understanding of costs and value. When we queried the amount the waiter said ‘yes that’s correct – 800 grams at 90 TL a kilo. Now I dispute it was anywhere near 800gms – but 90TL a kilo for a fish caught 20 meters across the road!!!

After disputing the amount several times and not getting anywhere we paid 120TL which we felt represented far more than the value of the meal and left, waving the bill and stating that we would be showing this on CBF and TA . As we made our way to the car the waiter came after us.  As I started to get in the passenger seat he was waiving the 120TL and wanted to give the full amount back to us – in exchange for the bill I was still clutching. No way was I ‘selling’ the bill back to them for a free meal – people need to be made aware and I intended to keep the bill to back up my complaint.

As I refused to hand over the bill another older man came charging up to us. Shouting in Turkish he aggressively attempted to wrench the bill from my hand. With his nose in my face, and continuing to shout abuse he grabbed my arm and twisted my fingers to try and get me to release the bill. Now I’m an OAP with arthritis in my thumbs but I hung on to that bill – I have cuts from his nails and bruises on my forearm to prove it. My husband, who is not very able (with the help of the waiter who was trying to talk the man down)  had to shove him off me and we drove away extremely shaken by the whole incident.

A Turkish friend phoned the restaurant to complain on our behalf and was told that we had chosen an ‘expensive fish’ – scales of gold I should think.  He apologized for ‘Baba’s’ behavior and offered us a free meal if we went back but I wouldn’t go near the place again even if I was paid.

There are no prices on the fish – in our ignorance we didn’t imagine that a fish caught in Fethiye Bay, sold in a Fethiye co-operative could possibly cost £27!
I would advise anyone to stay away from this restaurant but if you are tempted in please learn from our mistake, ask the price of the fish and check how much it weighs!

Offline Bluwise

Re: Girida Balik Restaurant - BEWARE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 18:51:01 PM »
That's an horrendous way to behave - good for you sticking to your guns.  Hope you are OK?   >:(

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 19:52:29 PM »
How awful for you - thank you for sharing it with us.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 22:17:05 PM »
This was a terrible thing to happen and I hope you will both recover from your experience.
I think you should report this matter to the Tourist Police ring 179 and you will get an English speaker who you can report this matter too.

Offline simpsons

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:35:49 AM »
Report him to the police, as this man has assaulted you. Dont let him get away with this, as the next person to complain may come of worse.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
One of the reasons I pay up even when the meal is rubbish! You never know how these people will react!
We went along to the Girida once and I asked to see the menu but was told " no menu". So we didn't go in thank goodness.
It was actually recommended to us by Turkish friends so I assume they have nontourist prices also!

Offline patrice

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
What an awful experiences for you both  >:(

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »
Where is this Girida Restaurant.

Offline hillside

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Thank you all for your support, we are fine now thanks and fortunately not put off Turkey - although we are put off any restaurant that doesn't display prices! >:(

We have reported it to Alo 179 with a copy of the receipt, albeit ripped and tattered!

The restaurant is between Fethiye and Calis desmartinson on the opposite side of the road to the promenade:

more on the restaurant - http://www.turkeysforlife.com/2012/07/eating-fethiye-girida-fish-restaurant.html

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
I must admit that they only time we have been ripped off on prices for food and drink in Turkey was when we did not see the menu.

Beware! It's a licence for some to charge what they like if they think they can get away with it. If they think you are new to the area or on holiday it's just too tempting I guess.

I remember going to Max's old bar a couple of years back and a new barman was behind the bar. He didn't know me from Adam or the fact that I knew Max and what he was charging for a bottle of Efes. There was nobody else there as it was late afternoon and he obviously thought I would pay up the 6 tyl he was asking without question. I'd been paying 3ytl but offered him 4 and he took it eventually. Needless to say I told max the next time I saw him and the barman, for some reason, seemed to be washing dishes from then on  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf