Author Topic: Nice Sovalye Island Holiday in The Guardian Today  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Nice Sovalye Island Holiday in The Guardian Today
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
This seems very reasonable for quite a unique holiday - £600 including flights and transfers:

"DEALS
Discount luxury in the eastern Med

Sick of Turkey? Go to Turkey! Or, more specifically, to Şövalye, a 1km-long, car-free island in the mouth of Fethiye harbour in Muğla. Being so small and so close to the city it overlooks, Şövalye isn't generally counted as a bonafide Aegean island and hasn't received the same attention from tourists and developers afforded to more isolated Mediterranean suntraps. The widest part of the island remains entirely forested and the scattered Greek and Byzantine remains lie untroubled thanks to the absence of roads. There are one or two restaurants on the island and many more in Fethiye, a short water taxi-ride away. A week at the Ece hotel, departing 27 April, costs from £600pp including flights, transport, sea view room, B&B accommodation and a day's Gulet sailing, if booked before the end of March".

Direct Link

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Nice Sovalye Island Holiday in The Guardian Today
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 13:05:58 PM »
No restaurants on the island the last time I visited  :-X

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 14:09:08 PM »
Looks interesting!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 14:22:58 PM »
It does, doesn't it  :)

Liz do you remember the restaurant that used to be on there - owned by a famous Turkish film director or similar? It was a wonderful setting and he was such an interesting and down to earth guy. I had garlic king prawns as a starter once and they were fantastic, and I told him so. He said something like "We just cook them in butter with a bit of garlic, they aren't anything special" :D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 17:09:50 PM »
Yes I do remember that restaurant, it was on the headland on the Letoonia side of the island

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 17:46:07 PM »
The Hotel has a restaurant so maybe it's open to the public?? 
I looked up the website recently and was reading about the Hotel, it looks lovely.
http://www.sovalyeisland.com/

Offline Lotty

Nice Sovalye Island Holiday in The Guardian Today
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 17:55:28 PM »
It does look amazing and an excellent price. We've often fancied a trip over there but not sure where the boat is to take us. I think it may be somewhere near Palm island near the old amphitheatre? Anyone know what they charge for that?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 18:13:56 PM »
It would seem  that the Hotel charge £15.00 for a boat after 6.00pm but this is for the Hotel Guests.
I would think a local boat might do it cheaper.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g612461-r114712045-Sovalye_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 21:01:10 PM »
It does look amazing and an excellent price. We've often fancied a trip over there but not sure where the boat is to take us. I think it may be somewhere near Palm island near the old amphitheatre? Anyone know what they charge for that?

From the palms roundabout, walk along the front towards Cafe Genis & the Souvaliye Water taxi is there, just next to the one for Letoonia. It's only small, not as big as the Calis water taxis. Not sure of up to date price

Offline sadler

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
I have watched a boat going to and from the island from the jetty near the Sat on numerous occasions.  Is this for public use or is it  a privately owned boat?  Have frequently thought that I would like to get on it to investigate the island, whilst I was soaking up the rays and having a nice cool efes and taking advantage of the sun beds at the Sat 8)!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf