Author Topic: Hotel/pool facilities for non-guests  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Skiboy

• Newly Registered
Hotel/pool facilities for non-guests
« on: February 03, 2013, 14:56:37 PM »
Hi we have a place in Fethiye and love Sundial for a lazy day and great food and are wondering if anyone knows about other places where you can go along for the day, use the pool and have a few drinks and something to eat? Thanks folks from Ski and A-M

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Hotel/pool facilities for non-guests
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 15:09:34 PM »
I have read thread like yours before and I remember a lot of people who pay to stay at hotels sometimes strongly object to people who have not paid to stay, coming in and using the pool and the sunbeds, but good luck anyway.

Offline Skiboy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 15:18:48 PM »
Thanks J for the reply and the point you make is the reason for the question, we know some places are happy for non-guests to come along for the day and hoped that others on the forum knew of other places like Sundial.  We do have our own pool but since we'll have our niece and nephew staying it would be good for them to have a chance to meet up with other holiday-makers.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 15:32:37 PM »
I think most of the smaller, family owned hotels would more than welcome you in to use the pool - assuming you bought a few drinks or maybe even lunch.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 15:37:04 PM »
We sometimes venture out to use other pools and we just ask at the pool bar or reception if its ok to use the pool and have some lunch or a drink.
We have never been refused, its quite a common practice we have found.
I can understand hotel guests getting a bit miffed if there are no sunbeds for them and outsiders are on them but we tend to use the quieter ones so as not to offend.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 17:12:05 PM »
One of the most pertinent replies I read to this thorny subject was as follows:

"If there are enough sunbeds then say yes to 'outsiders' and if allowing them to use the facilities makes it harder for residents then they should politely say no. In any case, I think they should offer them at best use of the pool and a seat at the bar - who said anything about sunbeds anyway? Yes you can use our pool while you have a drink/lunch - and here is a lovely seat at the pool bar/snack bar for you. Sorted."

I can't for the life of me remember who posted it though.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 17:23:46 PM by Highlander »

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 18:01:17 PM »
 My answer went somewhere along the lines of i get annoyed that I can not get a table in bella mamas because people staying in the Oykun for example are not having all their meals in the hotel   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 18:43:28 PM »
  :) yes Mark I remember that now.

Offline amanda bullock

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 21:26:19 PM »
Hi Skiboy,i used to go to a place in Kayakoy called the Istanbul with a lovely pool and gorgeous food but i don t know if it is still there or as nice.They used to do a free transfer from Fethiye as well if there were a few of you.I m sure someone could update you on this.

Offline Christie

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:33 AM »
I don't see a problem with people using hotel pool/sunbeds etc.  but only if there are easily enough sunbeds spare.  We go to one of the hotels on the prom and were 'invaded' by a party of about 26 with about 6/7 children.  They took over the pool completely and put all the sunbeds together and took other people's umbrellas - and were noisy.  This hotel has mostly German guests, with a smattering of English (us).  The Germans were not impressed at having their nice peaceful swimming pool and sunbathing area disturbed - and I have so say neither were we.   The hotel received a lot of complaints - unfortunately the hotel sees just the profit to be made by all these people perhaps eating, and most certainly, drinking - but it was to the detriment of the paying guests.   

We will probably be seen as being 'grumps' but we go to this hotel because it is quiet and nearly everyone there is middle aged or older couples who sit peacefully round the pool, reading etc and enjoy the absence of children (who admitedly are only enjoying themselves, but can be noisy).   

I think if you want to go to other hotels and enjoy the faqcilities perhaps the larger hotels/larger pool area might be the better option. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf