Author Topic: Mosquitoes  (Read 13200 times)

Offline pads

Mosquitoes
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:39:51 AM »
Hi Again.
When we are looking for somewhere to live in Fethiye,everyone says to avoid Calis because of the mosquitoes.Could anyone tell me if it is a problem.Thank you.Paddy

Offline marytheresa

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
Calis is full of them as everything is built on what was previously swamp land lots of noisy frogs too! some people are not bothered with it I would be  ;D

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: Mosquitoes
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:11:37 AM »
We moved from Fethiye (near Otogar) to Calis  (near Cafe Pazar) last May and noticed very little difference - two or three occasions when we got bitten and each time was when we had walked over the canal at the new bridge near The Mutlu at dusk - late on in October so we stopped doing that !

Maybe it was a good year but like you we expected the worst but it didn't happen :D

Offline philrose

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »
Mosquitoes (and frogs) have been very much on the decline in the last few years, as most of the open drainage channels are being replaced by concrete pipe and covered over.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
The longer you live here the less you will be affected by mossies as your body will begin to develop its own natural immunity. Usually at the beginning of the season a bite or two kick starts your body's resistance and you'll barely even notice when you get a bite in the season.

But watch out for the extra large killer mossies at the end of the season!

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
The first October we were out in Calis a number of years again my husband had the wisdom to leave the bathroom window open with the light on one night,the mosquitoes thought all there christmasses have come at once,  I was eaten alive. Since then have been using Avon skin so soft before we go out every evening & obviously dont leave the windows open and found havent got so many bites. 

Offline screamlead

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
KOV/OFF in Tespos - 2.50 TL = 5-6 tl in the season - stock up now peeps

Offline Lorraine

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
Hello Paddy
I can only tell you of my personal experience...I am like a magnet to mosquitos! Last summer I travelled up and down the Turkish coast and adjacent Greek islands and was bitten consistentley, the worst being around Gocek. I spent a week at my house in Calis, and during that time (September), we had nightly BBQ's outside...and I was not bitten at all. Over the past few years we have noticed that there are less and less mosquitos and see the spraying van coming round frequently ( I think that they use diesel fumes to kill or drive mosquitos away - no doubt the good people of CBF will probably correct me). There is more and more development around the calis area and hence the sections of 'swamp' waste land is decreasing.
Best Wishes
Lorraine

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
Even where we are in Koca Calis there has been a huge decline in mozzies over the last 10 years.

Less stagnant water, more spraying and jungle formula have helped no end.

We also have screens on all doors and windows. At night we spray the bedrooms and turn the air on to cold half an hour before we go to bed. Result has been very few bites.

Offline angela

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
I suffer terribly with bites, but my other half barely at all. I have often wondered how you manage living there full time, and being outdoors in the evenings etc. I hate the smell of Sinkov  and mossie room spray, so all suggestions gratefully received

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf