Author Topic: Dying in Turkey..  (Read 11658 times)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
Re: Dying in Turkey..
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »
You've got me thinking now about repatriation of bodies - there are a huge number of Asians in this country that take bodies out of the country simply because it is cheaper than a funeral in the UK.  I wonder why it is so expensive to take a body out of Turkey?

Offline screamlead

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:49 AM »
There is as far as i know a crematorium somewhere round the Marmaris area or further along the coast - seem to remember another forum speaking about it.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
No smoke without fire then.....

I'll get me coat.                 

Offline poppy50

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 16:57:40 PM »
Hi  Whilst on this subject, over the years I have never seen a funeral take place in Fethiye or the surrounding areas.  Do they take place a night? : :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 17:02:03 PM »
You've got me thinking now about repatriation of bodies - there are a huge number of Asians in this country that take bodies out of the country simply because it is cheaper than a funeral in the UK.  I wonder why it is so expensive to take a body out of Turkey?

I think you'll find that it's not about the cost of burial in the UK. It's more about the wishes of the deceased to be buried on "homeground".

It's generally the airlines that make stacks of money on the repatriation of bodies but most costs can be covered by insurance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8606895.stm

over the years I have never seen a funeral take place in Fethiye or the surrounding areas. 

You need to get out more.    ;)

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 20:28:22 PM »

I think you'll find that it's not about the cost of burial in the UK. It's more about the wishes of the deceased to be buried on "homeground".

It's generally the airlines that make stacks of money on the repatriation of bodies but most costs can be covered by insurance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8606895.stm

The Muslim religion requires a body to be buried "as soon as possible" after death.  Those who wish to comply with that sentiment bury the bodies in the UK as taking the body out of the country delays the funeral even further.  Cost of repatriation is definitely cheaper......but you are right - some people do specify they wish to go home!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 22:09:02 PM »
The Muslim religion requires a body to be buried "as soon as possible" after death. 

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.  ;)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 22:23:29 PM »
I think it might have to do with the heat in certain countries, Spain etc have to bury very quickly. I know in England bodies wait much longer. Some religions also require early burial. I can never understand why a dead person costs a zillion times more to fly home either.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »
I think there is a place in Antalya that carries out cremations also the British consulate can help with this information. As for medical care Turkey has a very good track record compared with most countries. I would rather be ill and treated here rather than the UK. But it does come down to personal finances against NHS and of course family.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
I think it might have to do with the heat in certain countries, Spain etc have to bury very quickly.

They have refrigeration even in a backward country like Spain.

I attended the burial of an expat in Fethiye a few years ago and there was a delay of 15 days between her death and the burial. Her body had been kept under refrigeration at the Devlet Hospital without any problems. In fact, in Kaya, there's a custom-built trailer parked by the mosque on the Gemiler Road that is specifically for the preservation of bodies for burial. It has full refrigeration and air-conditioning and is in regular use to hold bodies where there is a delay in the funeral ceremony.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf