Author Topic: More tourists coming to Fethiye  (Read 7681 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
More tourists coming to Fethiye
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
Figures for tourist arrivals staying in the Fethiye area including the resorts of Çaliş, Hisarönü and Ölüdeniz are reported to have increased by 15 percent in the 7 months to July 2013.

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/7375-fethiye-tourist-numbers-up.html

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: More tourists coming to Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
From what I'm hearing its the dire state of the pound versus the euro that's sending more people to Turkey, plus the good exchange rate with the Turkish lira.  The bad publicity with drunken youngsters in resorts such as Marmaris, is making people look further afield, hence more tourists in places such as Fethiye.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 13:52:12 PM »
From what I'm hearing its the dire state of the pound versus the euro that's sending more people to Turkey, plus the good exchange rate with the Turkish lira.  The bad publicity with drunken youngsters in resorts such as Marmaris, is making people look further afield, hence more tourists in places such as Fethiye.

The £ is not in 'dire straits' against the Euro echogirl, other way round.  The £ is much stronger against the Euro v last year. The only reason the £ is not even stronger against the Euro is because of the Billions that have been borrowed & ploughed into keeping the Euro afloat.

http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

The £ v TL is very good for those with £'s in their pockets at the moment.  But the cost of actually getting & staying in Turkey has become prohibitively expensive for many, especially those with family's.  It's Much, much cheaper for Brits to holiday in Spain, Portugal etc etc.

Various, murders, assaults, civil unrest in Turkey etc, haven't helped their image as a safe holiday destination.  You'll find drunken rowdiness everywhere, I've certainly seen enough of it in Turkey, being committed by the Turks themselves...........

Offline Menthol

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 15:22:54 PM »
How's your job as Tourism Minister for Turkey going Cef? Perhaps you need to look at changing your role a bit  ;D

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 16:17:18 PM »
Don't worry about all that - have you had your breakfast yet ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 16:18:11 PM »
The £ is not in 'dire straits' against the Euro echogirl, other way round.  The £ is much stronger against the Euro v last year. The only reason the £ is not even stronger against the Euro is because of the Billions that have been borrowed & ploughed into keeping the Euro afloat.
Twelve months ago the rate was €1.28 to the £1, today it's €1.15 to the £1.

Please explain to me in what aspect is the pound is currently stronger than the euro compared to twelve months ago?

JF

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 19:15:17 PM »

Please explain to me in what aspect is the pound is currently stronger than the euro compared to twelve months ago?

JF

The average is +.05% against the Euro v "last year" John.

Quote Menthol:  "How's your job as Tourism Minister for Turkey going Cef? Perhaps you need to look at changing your role a bit  ;D" end quote:

Lol, could be better mate  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 19:42:55 PM »

JF

The average is +.05% against the Euro v "last year" John.

You really haven't got a scooby about how to interpret the data contained in the graph you quoted, have you?  Don't give up the day job comes to mind.

What you posted plainly shows that the Euro has gained 11.2% against the pound over the past twelve months, which as anyone who purchases euros on a regular basis (as I do), is fully aware of.  Where you get an average of +0.05% I really do not know.

JF

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 20:07:36 PM »
Oop's - typo should have read '- '0.5% v Last year, "GBP 1 = EUR 1.1529 -0.0053 (-0.5%)"

Hands up, nobody's perfect! No great improvement as I previously stated but without the Euro being bolstered by billions from tax payers money, it would be a very different story.  It's still a very good improvement on the near parity it had a couple of years back, don't you think?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 22:11:56 PM »
Oop's - typo should have read '- '0.5% v Last year, "GBP 1 = EUR 1.1529 -0.0053 (-0.5%)"
That's the daily change, as in the difference from the current rate versus the previous day. 

Would you like a shovel?

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf