Author Topic: They're coming after you !!!!  (Read 5286 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: They're coming after you !!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 13:13:47 PM »
When you look at the amount of benefit to people who live abroad it mounts up.
Housing benefit,council tax benefit, cold weather payments..all for an empty home.
Then there is the DLA/pip payments,along with carers allowance..
Why should people be able to claim in the Uk, and live abroad?
Don,t worry on this grosly unfair new benefits system, pensioners are more protected than pandas, as pensioners are usually voters. This government,don,t want to lose the Grey vote.
Working aged People are being forced to pay 20% of their council tax bill, lose 14% of their housing benefit for having an extra bedroom that they had when the kids were home. This is all out of £52-£71 per week, for food,lighting,heating,clothing.

Anyone, that is putting any more pressure on this already overstretched  benefits system needs needs bringing to task, whether they live here or abroad, or are from here or abroad.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 14:07:35 PM »
Well said, Slikmrs. I have actually heard ex-pats in Turkey brag about how much they get from the British tax-payers, whilst lazing around at bars/pools etc. then weeing off back to the U.K. every few months to collect their free medications !! All this, between organising trips even further abroad to more exotic locations, for 3 & 4 months at a time, during the Turkish winters !!

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 18:34:22 PM »
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that if you were claiming any benefits, then regular checks were made to ensure that you continued to be entitled to that benefit.  This being the case, how would it be possible to"live" abroad and in particular in Turkey which is not an EU country.

Offline sashbash

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 19:39:40 PM »
It shouldn't just be the benefit cheats who should  be targeted they should include those who have a social housing  place in the UK and also own a property in Turkey, Spain, Italy etc  and boast about it.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
They're coming after you !!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 20:04:01 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a single person who fits that description!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
They're coming after you !!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 22:50:38 PM »
Sashbash - agree totally with your comments

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 23:06:19 PM »
Yes, they do exist. And taking up a much needed property, that could be used by a person/ family in desperate need. Hopefully, With the new welfare reform, this will dictate how long people on benefits can stay out of the country and still claim benefits and keep on social housing.  They intend to work with  border agencies to monitor the comings and goings to ensure it,s not happening..not before time too.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:21 AM »

Yes, they do exist. And taking up a much needed property, that could be used by a person/ family in desperate need. Hopefully, With the new welfare reform, this will dictate how long people on benefits can stay out of the country and still claim benefits and keep on social housing.  They intend to work with  border agencies to monitor the comings and goings to ensure it,s not happening..not before time too.

I am not aware of any friends in this particular situation and not sure how that would work; Surely neighbours would see a property vacant and report it? yet thinking of it what about the people who have won the lottery or come into money?  We see the news papers stating their comments that this will not change my life and then continue to live in their Social Home, it is their home, they pay the rent, they then purchase a property abroad for their holidays and still have their home. Whether you think it wrong or right they are doing nothing illegal.

Another point, how many know of someone in Social Housing and have a holiday home in a UK holiday caravan park? are they breaking a law because they have saved to have a holiday home? 

Social housing for returning ex-pats. Now, I do not know anything about persons under 55/60years of age, however, persons of 60 (and with a majority of local authorities 55yrs+) qualify for housing. You do not have to be a returning ex-pat, you can reach or be over the qualifying age and own a property in UK, yet due to ill health/financial or age are not able to keep maintaining the property, you can sell it on the open market and be housed by local (Social housing) or buy a retirement home out right/mortgage then bank/invest the equity.

You can even rent out your owned property to pay for your retirement home, you can also own a property abroad, but not if on benefits, obviously.

If you own a property abroad however, and return to the UK it is considered that you are not able to reside in the property abroad therefore you are able/entitled to claim Social housing or retirement home as a UK citizen, many factors come into play, first being are you able to afford the rent/mortgage independently? This is only if your take up the retirement option.

Under the retirement scheme you own the property you are able to swap that property for any country, the criteria is that the person if a UK or EEA citizen with rights to reside and reached the stipulated age for the property usually 55, 60 or 65yrs.

The bedroom Tax only applies to persons under the age of 60 in Social Housing and on benefits, if they rent in the private sector the bedroom tax does not apply.

With all the uncertainty in Turkey or the world for that matter, should the reigning government decide to oust the ex-pats from the country of chosen residence then many more will be using the over 55/60 option.  Many of the Spanish ex-pats of pensionable age are finding themselves in the same boat.  So even EU will not protect you. 

Now how many of the British Expats have sign and returned their P85's for Tax refunds thus informing the Government that they have left the country and will not be using the system?

How do people live abroad and claim benefits? don't they have to report to an office? or is this old hat now? 

Some just like to cause trouble without all the facts

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 06:33:03 AM »
People can live abroad and claim benefits if they keep a UK address. We know someone who lived in Spain for 10 years after selling up in the UK. They used a parents address so that they could keep popping back to use the NHS (dentist especially). They didn't claim benefits but I guess they could have if they had been entitled.

If they are clamping down on benefit cheats in general then I see no reason to exclude ex-pats.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:04 AM »
Some just like to cause trouble without all the facts loz..and quote me...
bless your heart.   :   :)

I totally agree Lance,but people don,t see that as doing anything wrong either.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:16:41 AM by slikmrs »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf