Author Topic: Boat Accident  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: Boat Accident
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 23:01:38 PM »
Oh. I didn't know about that. That's terrible.

This is all very sad.

Offline oska

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 23:52:10 PM »
We were on this trip and needless to say still shocked,C&T have been in contact today by email and phone requesting names and addresses of all on the boat as the "army" police are investigating. Owing to this I won't say too much other than C&T gave the instruction at Red Island to jump or swim from the left side of the boat so that the banana boats could do their stuff from the right , this was fully obeyed by the guests and the young crew member who was out snorkelling , the tragedy occurred on the left side of the boat.
Our thoughts and prayers to the young mans family,, our own thoughts and distress is in our own minds when I think it could have been one of my own. A big well done to the ENGLISH people who actually dived from the boat to recover him and sit with him in the speedboat to Fethiye
As far as the scuffle , shock sometimes turns to anger in these situations

Offline sunlover

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
Must have been shocking Oska, cant imagine witnessing a terrible accident like that, i am sure everyone will help with the investigation into this tragedy.

There must be more rules of where these boats can come and try and sell there fun, as they call it.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
A dreadful accident, and how awful for Oska and the other people who witnessed it.  We went on one of these trips in June, and even though nobody on our trip was interested in the banana boat it continued circling very close to our boat with people picked up from other boats.  As we were leaving, one of the crew members swam over to undo the mooring rope and the banana boat missed him by inches.  Its a miracle there have not been more fatalities. :'(

Offline WendyA

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 13:42:11 PM »
Terrible!  I, too have seen this and thought it was an 'accident waiting to happen'!  The worst was in June, this year when on a 12 Isand trip.  At the last stop (Red Island again?) there arrived more and more boats and then the banana and speed boat trip operators came to pick up business.  There were FAR too any swimmers in the water and the speedboats not only came far too close, but the drivers were rarely looking in the right direction.  I thought it was lethal then.

Let's hope this tragedy is a long-lasting reminder to them to ensure a lot more safety in the future.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 16:25:58 PM »
I see that the young man who died was a nephew of one of the Turkey Political  Party Leaders

Daily VATAN says Onder Pervanoglu, nephew of Independent Turkey Party (BTP) leader Haydar Bas, sustained a fatal injury to his head while swimming after a five-meter powerboat passed over him.

There are a lot of people complaining that C.&.T. have no mention of condolences on their websites or Facebook pages.   However, I suppose they may not be able to speak due to a court case being imminent.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 16:44:30 PM »
Why on earth would a court case prevent them from expressing their condolences :o

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 16:57:14 PM »
No idea, but it's the only reason being put forward on another Forum by someone with a business in the area as an excuse for C&.T. not posting any condolences. I am not sure how the court system works in Turkey, but they have not mentioned this young man at all and are going on with their business as normal.   A lot of people seem to be quite annoyed with C.&.T. and some people are saying because of, what seems like a lack of concern, they will not be booking with this company in future.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 17:42:06 PM »
You have just answered the quandary Jacqui, now, I KNOW that you are not naive enough to believe that any boat trip operator with a hint of decency/concern to future clients, would post the fact that one of their clients/crew members, was killed during one of their boat trips, bad publicity. I firmly believe that, if it was against Turkish legal protocol to post condolences re. this sad event, we also would be prevented from expressing ANY comment on here, at least in Turkish facebook world anyway. A very poor demonstration of concern from ANY of the boat trip operators, in my opinion.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 17:43:04 PM »
We had a contractor at work who was killed through his own actions on our premises.
We as a company wanted to send flowers and condolences to the widow and send a representative from the Company to the funeral. We were told in no uncertain terms not to do either and not to contact the contracting company by our lawyer even though our Company was not in any way at fault.
These however are different circumstances but the poor guy was still at work and certainly in UK law (turkey may be different) under the responsibility of his employer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf