Author Topic: Cancelling Digiturk  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Marggie

Cancelling Digiturk
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
We are considering cancelling Digiturk, can anybody advise what the procedure is?   

The Premier League channel has gone and Lig Tv have decided only to screen the matches with Turkish commentary.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: Cancelling Digiturk
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 15:30:26 PM »
You need to phone them, tell them you want to leave.
They will tell you the date you're paid up to and the date you can leave ( not sure if you can while you're in a contract, ours was coming up to the end of the 2 years)
Then you will need to send a FAX to a number they give you explaining that you want to leave with your account number and your address and phone number.
They will NOT let you cancel via their shop or by email.

I sent mine from a shop opposite fethiye PTT.
They then send a text confirming they've received your fax.
Then you need to take your box back to their shop near Finansbank.
Get a receipt for it.

When I took my box back they said it was too soon and to come back next week.

I said no way, had just taken it by dolmus and contract was cancelled by FAX.
No,.... Lots of argy bargy! They said I needed to phone digiturk and arrange a drop off date.
So I positioned the box and photographed it so the Digiturk shop sign was behind it, left it on the desk and went to walk out. They called me back and gave me the receipt for it.

Haven't heard anything from them, have heard loads of horror stories about getting bills months after cancelling, but touch wood all been ok since March.

Make sure your bank direct debit is cancelled too.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 15:38:00 PM »
I cancelled Digiturk in 2004 and they sent me all the way home for the scart lead!!

Offline davybill

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 16:18:56 PM »
Phone istanbul number, dial 9 for english speaking,then go in digiturk shop he will copy your passport,and then they will tell you when you
finish payment,if you had your box and scart leed off them return it.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 16:27:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I have heard many horror stories of people being chased for money after cancellation.  :)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 22:34:47 PM »
i am glad you asked this question taking mine back in september

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
Rang Digiturk Istanbul yesterday and was told to ring their lawyers as I had not paid.  Advised them that I had paid for one year on 14/9/2012 and that I was still receiving television.  Gave them my receipt number but they still insisted I ring their lawyers.

Rang lawyers who did not have my file (not surprising when I was fully paid up for one year).  After much toing and froing I received the following eMail: 

Mrs Webster, your file is on managerial pursuit now.  You can cancel by paying the bill. The is 33 tl payment you can pay through PTT or Garanti.  I will send you account number, when you pay it there will be no bill.

I queried this amount.  This is the final eMail received from them:

You have to pay 33tl to close and to delete your file and Digiturk account.  Otherwise the amount will rise continuously.  The box can stay with you, there is no problem about it.

Have paid final fee so hopefully this will be the end.

For anybody who wants to cancel this is the Istanbul number:  0212 473 7373 Press 9 for English.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
Spoke too soon
A very official signed for letter today saying I owe 84tl

Don't know whether to fight it or just pay it.
I followed all the correct procedures for cancelling , but like so many am being bullied by them.
It's disgusting.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 13:10:20 PM »
It has happened to loads of people. I was chased for close on 300TL, I had paid up to date and even cancelled a month before my contract ended. I was informed of this 'debt' 4 months after giving the box back. I was told that interest was accrued daily hence the almost 300TL. Must admit I haven't heard of any Turkish people being chased for money. Dodgeyturk are just robbing barstewards! >:( >:(

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 21:24:42 PM »
We looked at our Digiturk account and in fact our contract started in February 2011, but they didnt take first payment til March, so we reckon its possible we do in fact owe a month! possibly 2 depending on the date they see the contract started.
We were definitely told in January that it finished in February 2013 when we called to cancel and gave a months notice and were told we didnt owe any more payments.

We went to the Digiturk office in Fethiye today. I showed them the letter and they called customer service for me and the man on the other end said I would have to go to a lawyer,
He said because I no longer have a subscription it's nothing to do with Digiturk
The staff in there were shaking their heads and agreeing how bad Digiturk are for this sort of thing!

We had no idea where to start with a lawyer, so decided to go to Koray Ataks office and find out what exactly the letter says.
They phoned the Izmir number on the letter, and they are Digiturks solicitor.
She explained that we have never had a bill saying we owe anything just this letter, they said we could pay over the phone, but final amount is not 84tl now but 216tl with the solicitor fee.

I said we would wait for them to take us to court.
Korays wife said they have had 4 customers with the same problem.
I asked what she thought the chances of winning were and she wasn't sure, and suggested we pay now and get legal advice to try and get our money back after.
Decided to do that, rang them again, paid the 216tl with my debit card  ( got a 9tl early payment discount, woop) and then had to pay Korays office 10tl.

A few minutes later got a call from the same number that has been calling me twice a day for about a 2weeks, which when I googled it came up as a Digiturk related number, so I've been thinking it was sales calls and ignoring most of the time. The rest of the time, I say hello, they ask if I speak Turkish, I say little and they hang up...
Anyway, this must be part of their legal department, as they said my payment hasn't gone through as it has to be credit card, not debit card.(luckily by this time I was at at the Sigorta office and they spoke to them for me and explained.)
So will have to try again on Monday as didnt have credit card with me.

Korays office recommended a solicitors number to call to try and fight it.

Just don't know if it's worth it, it's disgusting that so many are in the same situation though.

Disgusting tactics, we would have willingly paid if they had sent a bill, but to wait 6 months and send a solicitor letter is just wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf