Author Topic: Moving to Calis  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Leerob

• Newly Registered
Moving to Calis
« on: October 21, 2013, 21:41:17 PM »
Hi All,
My brother and I are considering buying a property in Calis. We have a 30% deposit and we are looking at properties to the value of £150,000. What is the rental potential of properties in Calis during the summer months. I have spoken to a Turkish acquaintance in Hisaronu who said that the foundations are not good on Calis and it is susceptible to flooding, is this correct as believe he just to to put us off this area as he sells villas on Hisaronu. Once the walkway is complete next year I believe property in Calis will be a good investment. Eventually I would like to move over permanent and rent my property in the uk, just in case

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Moving to Calis
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 21:54:00 PM »
I am by no means an expert but presumably the rental potential is dependant on a number of factors including location, number of bedrooms, pool or no pool etc., etc.

Sites such as joy.lettings.com, holiday.lettings.com and Calis Villas on here will give a fair cross section I would have though.

We have rented at Summer Apartments at the far end of the prom. Lovely apartment beautiful grounds, lovely pool - £ 260 per week in September.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 23:01:11 PM »
Also having 70% on finance could well give an uncomfortable feeling if Turkey has a bad year with low rental take up, which can (and does) happen with earthquakes, wars in adjacent countries, occasional bombs and several other factors that should have no effect on sleepy little Fethiye but I assure you they do in terms of bookings.

If you can afford whatever 100k costs to borrow per year even if you got zero bookings at all then no problem.

As for Hisaronu, they are indeed saying that to sell you a dream home up a hill with no beach. I lived in 2 houses in Calis over 5 years and never once had a flood or feared one might happen. We do get a problem from Hisaronu, every time it rains up there all their tarmac seems to end up down our way   ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Offline Harley

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
I've had ours for 9 years now and I don't recall it ever flooding.  Oops tell a lie to did happen once years back when the canal flooded, but the have since made it a lot wider, so problem solved.

If you are thinking of moving over eventually I would definitely recommend Calis. More facilities all year round.

As for the rental side .... No one can guarantee rentals.

Buy within your means . There are lot of properties out there up for sale which are a lot cheaper than 150 k. Most of which have pools.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
I wouldn't pay £150,000 for a house in Calis!

Offline Harley

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »

I wouldn't pay 150 k full stop lol

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »

No but he wasn't asking that  ;)

Different people have different requirements and 150k can buy a wonderful place in Calis. For people with 45k, Calis can deliver too. The implication is that Calis isn't good enough to buy an expensive house in - like "I wouldn't spend half a million on a house in Liverpool". Well, lots of people do.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
I am sure it's some areas of Koca Calis which you have heard flooded, there have been problems in that area.The houses near in the Canal in Calis did flood a couple of years ago.   We are well away from the Canals and in eight years had no problems.
Remember to factor in the costs of using someone to manage your property and also you will have to pay tax on rental income.
I would easily spend £150.000 on a house in Calis.  There are some really nice properties for sale at this price and more.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
I do recall flooding in Calis many years ago when they started building on what was swampland.
Of course building has improved since then and I reckon they now understand more about foundations.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
When we where shown houses by the Estate Agent.  He told us Koca Calis was built on a swamp and he told us it was up to us if we wanted to look there, but someone in the office told us not to, so we never did.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf