Author Topic: smokeless briquettes  (Read 2977 times)

Offline hamilton

smokeless briquettes
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »
Has anyone resourced smokeless briquettes suitable for use on a multi fuel heating boiler, manual feed.

I have some samples of briquettes made from olive waste (not enough to do a proper burning test) they are a bit smelly!!. Has anyone tried or are using these?

These are more expensive than the super carbon, but does the efficiency and cleaning etc offset the cost?  I did source and order a different briquette last year, unfortunately they never arrived, is there a reliable supplier in Fethiye.

I would be grateful if anyone has information

Offline hamilton

Re: smokeless briquettes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 13:38:37 PM »
If anyone is interested I have manage find a supplier in Fethiye of smokeless briquettes.

I have tried them in my multi fuel central heating boiler. They burn well, produce little waste, clean to handle, the additional advantage is that the boiler requires less cleaning and produces far less smoke. It is renewable energy and is far healthier and better for the environment.

The briquettes come in 25 kilo bags and cost 15tl each. This is slightly more expensive than the super carbon which is currently 12tl for 20 kilo, but taking into account that 10% of that is waste is does bring the cost very closer.

The supplier is DemirDokum in Fethiye, hope that this post is regarding as information rather than advertising.

Offline dinger

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 14:14:35 PM »
Hi could you tell me where this Demir Dokum is in Fethiye please, thanks

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 14:47:26 PM »
What sort of time  does a 25 kg bag last. Say you light at 6pm each evening. 5 bags of hardwood last aprox one month at 20 tl bag.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 18:16:43 PM »
Dinger, they are next to Aydem Office that is now been vacated,on the Oludeniz Cad.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 18:41:35 PM »
Jackstee, it all depends on the KW of the boiler to the rate of usage, and how long you run the boiler, what the outside temperature is, how much area you are heating and to what temperature.

If you say that you only use 5 bags for a month, each bag must last 6 days that's just over 3kg a day, I would be very happy if my consumption was similar, that would equate to 3tl a day.

I run my 40kw boiler from 4-30 till 10-30, which heats every room in a 3 bedroom villa. Depending on the outside temperature I was using up to 20kg of supercarbon a night. Though the weather has not as yet got cold enough to establish how well the briquettes are going to perform, the indication is that the usage will be similar to the supercarbon, that would mean approx 20kg a day at roughly 12tl.

Hopes this answers your question.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
Oops I have given out some misinformation.

Somehow the price of the briquettes got lost in translation. The price for a 20k bag is 15tl, but it  comes in 25k bags at 18.75tl which equates to 0.75tl per kilo.
Supercarbon is 0.60tl per kilo which does contain 10% waste.

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 15:28:50 PM »
Can you use these in a log burning stove?  We have a Stratford log burning stove that powers our central heating.  Interested in alternative renewable fuels where possible.

Offline hamilton

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 16:19:46 PM »
Hi Eric. If the stove burns wood or coal, I cannot see any reason why not. If its the actual size of the briquette you are concerned about, they are approx 3"x12" hexagonal with a hole through the centre and break very easy. A friend of mine has tried them on a woodburner and has ordered some more. The best option would be to pick up a bag and try in your stove.

Offline Eric

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 18:08:08 PM »
Cheers, will try a bag and see how long it lasts.  Thanks for the info

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf