Author Topic: Is Turkey next ????  (Read 3995 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Is Turkey next ????
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523474/Brits-holiday-homes-Spain-France-banned-renting-tourists.html

How long will it be before the powers that be in Turkey jump on this money making band-wagon. I know this will not just affect British holiday makers, & has, seemingly, been 'normal' practise in Spain for some time, BUT, Turkey just seems to need the slightest provocation, under the present regime, to do as much damages as possible to their Tourist Industry !!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is Turkey next ????
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »
Nothing would surprise me but it will be a nightmare to administer.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 13:03:01 PM »
That is as maybe, Stoop,old boy, BUT, if there is money involved, & Erdogan Bey can squeeze any cash out of the very people ( tourists ), who have gone a helluva way toward making Turkey the financially viable country which it is, he will find the way. As they say ; yavaş yavaş !!

Now, all I need wait for, is for 'Rimms' to come along & inform me that he loves me, but I'm talking a whole crock of 'Bull-dust' !!   ;)

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 14:01:20 PM »
As Stoop says, difficult to administer but as GordonA says, the government will do everything possible to squeeze money out of people.  There was talk before about taxing people who rent their property but nothing came of that.  I am sure that Mr. Erdogan will have lots of surprises up his sleeve in the future. So many foreigners have contributed to the Turkish economy and as we all know, we take nothing away with us except a sun tan and happy memories.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 14:03:39 PM »
How long will it be before the powers that be in Turkey jump on this money making band-wagon.
They already have done - various measures being employed to seek out potential undeclared rental income and arbitrary (and sometimes hefty) assessments already being dished out by the taxman.

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 14:06:16 PM »
Glad we decided not to rent our place to be honest.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 14:20:39 PM »
As Stoop says, difficult to administer but as GordonA says, the government will do everything possible to squeeze money out of people.  There was talk before about taxing people who rent their property but nothing came of that.  I am sure that Mr. Erdogan will have lots of surprises up his sleeve in the future. So many foreigners have contributed to the Turkish economy and as we all know, we take nothing away with us except a sun tan and happy memories.

The tone of your reply suggests you are condoning evasion of tax on income earned within Turkey.  Would you feel the same about, for example, an eastern European doing the same in the UK?

JF

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 14:25:14 PM »
To be fair - those who rent out and make a profit should declare it as taxable income (assuming it is taxable based on their costs etc). I have no problem with that at all.

What gets me is what they are saying in France and Spain which is basically - 'you are undercutting hotels etc and we want you to have to abide by the same rules as them. If that means lots more hops to jump through then tough'

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 14:51:34 PM »
To be fair - those who rent out and make a profit should declare it as taxable income (assuming it is taxable based on their costs etc). I have no problem with that at all.

I don't have the details to hand just now, but the allowances claimable for (touristic) landlords are pretty fair.  I know for a fact (we rent out property in both UK & TR) that they let you away with a lot more than HMRC does.  At the end of the day it is up to the individual, take the risk or keep it legal(ish), just like every other business in Turkey.

What gets me is what they are saying in France and Spain which is basically - 'you are undercutting hotels etc and we want you to have to abide by the same rules as them. If that means lots more hops to jump through then tough'

No, thats what the Daily Mail and other tabloids are saying - the situations in France and Spain is completely different and the thick feckers who masquerade as journalists for these rags are simply to lazy to their research.

JF

Offline Fran

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 14:53:10 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf