Author Topic: Is Turkey next ????  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Ray1951

Re: Is Turkey next ????
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 15:41:41 PM »
JohnF, sorry you felt that I was condoning this, I wasn't.  It is only fair that people assume their responsibilities and pay their dues.  I know that the law in the UK used to allow £4,250 (or thereabouts) before you were due to pay tax etc. on a rental property. We don't know what the threshold would be for rental in Turkey.  I lived and worked in Greece for many years and I am well aware of what happens to a country when people don't pay their taxes etc. Look at the situation Greece is in now.

Offline ceni

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 19:03:53 PM »
Turkey would be in a lot better position with their taxes if they only put in the effort and got their own people to pay taxes too.......FFs it's not rocket science! someone high up knows that all these mega building companys etc are getting a huge amount MORE then thy are paynig in taxes !

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 19:21:02 PM »
 "I know that the law in the UK used to allow £4,250 (or thereabouts) before you were due to pay tax etc. on a rental property."

Ray1951,

That was the allowance on the 'rent a room scheme', a lodger basically.
There is/was no tax allowance on rental property for individuals apart from your personal tax allowance if you have a low or no other income.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 19:35:31 PM »
In the days of much lower declared values on tapus, I understand the Turkish tax men around Fethiye were looking at transactions where developers and agents were taking (with Power of Attorney) large sums from client bank accounts to pay for properties. Nothing unusual in that, but the taxman cunningly saw that the agent/builder took (say) £50,000 from the customer's bank account to pay for a property which clearly showed it's value on the official tapu as (say) £17,000.

They asked the agent/builder what happened to the other £33,000 they withdrew using PoA, and there really is no worthy reply to that. The taxman would then confirm that as the money could not be accounted for, it can only be put down as profit, and a tax demand was made for the sum in question. It is pretty unfair as they didn't get the money, but had no way of explaining it to the satisfaction of the taxman.

The taxman, of course, knew exactly where the money had gone and I am sure enjoyed it all immensely.

When collecting taxes is the job in question, this makes hugely greater return per taxman hour than turning up mob handed 3 or 4 times to try and catch a family on holiday - in the pursuit of the income tax due on £250.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 21:01:14 PM »
Took me a while to get my head around your statement Keith, but I think I am almost there !! Explain just one point, how on earth does the Tax Office get the information regarding the Power of Attorney ?
As you are aware, I am not a stupid person, but surely the legal ramifications of Powers of Attorney would not normally come into the remit of Tax Officers, or would it ?   ??? :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 21:11:26 PM »
I am not an expert on the tax ways of Turkeyshire Gordy but I think they are (specifically when investigating the party empowered rather than the buyer). As it was explained to me, the Turkish taxman has powers to do what ever he likes and is often seen as more feared than the police. A bit like the UK then  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf