Author Topic: Where Am I?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Where Am I?
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
I'm returning to Fethiye in February to do some house-hunting.

As I'm coming alone, and as I'm someone who has been known to get lost in an empty field, I could really do with a decent street map of Fethiye and road map of the wider area. (I'm staying with Turkish friends, but don't expect them to be free/willing to ferry me about or chaperone me everywhere.)

I've used the 'search' facility but all the threads seem to be at least a couple of years old so wondered if anyone had any up-to-date info on recommended maps I could either buy in advance or when I'm there. I did find this link - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117997018230215662582.000438b4033f551057d3d&t=h&z=12 - but although I can zoom in on my screen, I can't seem to print it out in a readable format/size. I also found one on Amazon but it's unavailable.  :(

If anyone can help, great. If not, if you're in Fethiye during the first half of February and spy a middle-aged, lost-looking woman with short brown hair, possibly wearing purple headphones and shimmying/salsa dancing down the street, then it's probably me. Feel free to say hello, cross the road to avoid me or point me in the right direction as you prefer.  ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Where Am I?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
You can get maps for a few TL in stationery shops and petrol stations all around the area.

It's dead easy to do screen prints of GoogleEarth images if you want stuff in more detail.

Offline Caro

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

Offline Somerset Simon

Where Am I?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 13:43:45 PM »
Google have a clever system that puts in errors that prevent you printing several pages and sticking them together - they never match and align perfectly. Don't waste time trying to do!

The fethiye fold out street map is readily available.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 14:22:55 PM »
I found the petrol stations had the most up to date versions of fold out maps.

There are lots of free maps available in hotel foyers etc - a lot of them have other details on them that standard maps wouldn't have.

Anyway you'll have a great time looking for a property - are you renting or buying?

Offline WordBird

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 15:35:14 PM »
Oh great, thanks guys - will grab one when I'm there then (assuming I don't get lost on the way to the shop/petrol station!  ;D : :) ).

Menthol - we've decided to rent to start with so we can really be sure about where we want to settle. I'm hoping that if I can get somewhere sorted in February, I can start moving stuff over and maybe even get my own residency sorted before the rules change in April.

House went on the market a week ago - fourth viewing booked for tonight so fingers crossed for a quick sale. We would have had an offer after two days - the guy loved it but his wife had her heart set on a place in the next town. It's the one time when I've wished we women weren't always so good at getting our own way.....  : :)

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 17:39:02 PM »
There was a free simple street plan/road map in the free hardback directory available in Mozaik Bahce Restaurant if that helps!   :D

Offline WordBird

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 13:50:46 PM »
There was a free simple street plan/road map in the free hardback directory available in Mozaik Bahce Restaurant if that helps!   :D

Brilliant, thanks - shucks, might just have to have a meal while I'm there.  ;D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 14:39:39 PM »

The one I think you mean is the Sun Express book. Available also at the Sun Express office located in the side street by the dolmus station in Fethiye

Offline lissa

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 14:32:38 PM »
Tourism office might have a free street map. I think the Yacht Classic Hotel produced one and this was available there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf