Author Topic: Nar  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Lotty

Nar
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Hi, can anyone tell me how long Nar will last and is still ok to use? I've had some for quite a long while, bought in a water bottle from one if the old ladies at the market. It's great in salad dressings, marinades etc and a few drops in bowl of lentil soup is delish. It still tastes good to me and seems to get better with age.  :)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Nar
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
It will last a very, very long time and much better than the stuff they sell in the supermarkets which is full of sweeteners and additives.

Drizzled on rocket with olive oil and garlic is my favourite   :)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 13:34:00 PM »
Thanks Nichola,  :D I agree it's fabulous as a dressing and in many things it just adds a lift. Hate the sugary stuff they charge a fortune for in supermarkets. It bears no resemblance to the real thing. I always bring some back to UK. It's 'narvellous'   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 13:48:11 PM »
Keep it in a cool dark cupboard or fridge and it'll last for months.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 19:55:30 PM »
Nichola what is the sweet dressing that goes on some of the salads out there? Do they make their own? 

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 20:51:24 PM »
Sorry..what is Nar..sounds good if it can go in salads and soup

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 21:01:50 PM »
It's a pomegranate molasses. Basically, it's pomegranate juice that has been boiled down to a reduction making it thick and syrupy.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/ingredient/aID/508819

You can buy it in most food shops and supermarkets but the best quality, in my opinion, is sold at the Friday and Saturday markets by villagers.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 22:28:24 PM »
Thank you for the link old boy, a Turkish friend gave me a bottle of home made but I didn't
realise it was so versatile. Cheers

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 22:32:34 PM »
Sorry..what is Nar..sounds good if it can go in salads and soup

In Turkish it's called Nar Ekşisi and KKOB is right the best stuff is made by the villagers and found at the village markets. You will see it, a very dark brown colour in reused half litre water bottles and a little goes a long way.

It makes a nice and healthy dip mixed with olive oil and pepper flakes for dipping bread.

Anne the salad dressing is possibly a mix of the pomegranate sauce and olive oil with seasoning. We use the pomegranate sauce a lot in some of our mezes.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 22:36:59 PM »
In my opinion the best Nar is definitely from the Turkish ladies in the markets. It's usually sold in small water bottles from family recipes and has probably been made the same way through generations. Restaurants often have it along with their condiments or they may be able to bring it if you ask. If you haven't already, you must try it.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf