Author Topic: sending stuff backmto England.  (Read 5079 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: sending stuff backmto England.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
Keep it to 28 kgs or below if possible then you won't get caught-out by the UK's Elfin Safety Gestapo.  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »
Size of box doesn't matter when using the PTT Cargo - just the weight matters.

A 20 kilo box is about 275TL which at the current exchange rate works out at about £3 a kilo.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 16:08:31 PM »
Slikmrs, this is a useful link to an article from 2010 which was in the Fethiye times, hope it might help?   :)

http://www.fethiyetimes.com/property/property-a-utilities/5557-a-moving-experience.html

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 16:40:05 PM »
Thanks nichola, do you know if I have to list every single item on paperwork?

How much is the insurance bit, I put £65 tital on all my boxes before and just said,bedding,clothing,and household items x

Do yiu think I might be able to do that again.?

Thanks all for info x

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 22:25:48 PM »
No need to list everything. Or put a value. No need to insure although you can if you want too although the PTT staff will probably look at you blankly. I have never insured a parcel and never had one go missing. You could put a list of the contents in the box for your own reference but it's unlikely anything will go missing.

Check the box that says other (diger) - I'll check with Dogan what you can write and let you know to make it clear it's used personal effects.

Choose and check the box that says surface (yüzeden) not airmail it's much cheaper.

You will need to do a form for each parcel, it is all quite straight forward - sender, recipient (person who will sign on receipt) contents as in personal effects, tick surface or air mail, sign and date. That's it.

The parcel will be issued with a tracking number and will arrive 10 to 15 days later, usually nearer ten days but can also be sooner and it will need to be signed for by the recipient. If they aren't in Parcel Force if that is what they are still called, will leave a card and it will have to be picked up from the nearest Post Office Depot or arrange to have it delivered at another time. Make sure it is collected in good time if this happens otherwise they will send it back to you and the return journey will take a lot longer.

In theory you are supposed to leave the box open so the staff can have a look inside and make sure it's not something it shouldn't be and then they will seal it for you. I don't do this and don't have any problems, they will ask what is inside though. Make sure boxes are strong and sturdy.

It is an excellent service and I can highly recommend it.

Offline quackers

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:30 AM »
And dont put your name on the parcel put the receivers name cos if no one is in you need ID to collect the parcel from Parcel Force.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:49 AM »
Brilliant,thanks ever so for info. Right, i,m off to find boxes!!

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
I'm not thinking of sending anything abroad as yet, but would like to thank Nicola for all the excellent information about the PTT she has given. I'm sure it will be very useful to many who wish to send stuff to friends and relatives in the UK and elsewhere.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
The other thing I do is print off the recipients name and address in large letters three times on one piece of A4 and Sellotape to the top and two of the sides. The form you fill in is quite small and the PTT staff have to put all the details into their computer system and they are not familiar with foreign spellings.

Having it printed out and attached to the boxes helps ensure that no mistakes are made with the address.

I also Sellotape the whole of the bottom of the box, and any seams and all top flaps to ensure that no one can put their fingers inside and maybe inadvertently open the box when they are chucking it about and allowing items to fall out. Boxes will almost certainly be scanned at some point on their journey and possibly but not necessarily opened for checking. The stronger and more secure you make the box the better as occasionally they get really mashed up.

By the way the cost per kilo varies depending on the total weight of the box. So for example a box weighing just over 2 kilos is 87.30tl so about £12 a kilo. The heavier the box the cheaper it works out per kilo. However as KKOB says don't pack too close to the limit.

What you should write on the form is as follows

Kullanil miş kişisel eşyalar - used personal effects, and write it in both Turkish and English

I think that's it. Good luck and just to say I am really sorry that you are leaving before we got to spend time together.

By the way all this info is for parcels that weigh more than 2 kilos. There is a different and cheaper system for parcels that weigh less than 2 kilos that are going to the UK.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks nichola, we will be meeting up before my return. Called in last week, but you werent there x

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf