Author Topic: Turkish man has new heart at Papworth  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
Turkish man has new heart at Papworth
« on: March 26, 2015, 13:45:44 PM »
There was very good news from Papworth  hospital that a Turkish patient has had a successful heart transplant using a heart which had been in a deceased person. This will I have a huge impact on heart transplants. lI wish him very good health for the future.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Turkish man has new heart at Papworth
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 13:54:32 PM »
Just to elaborate on the story.

A landmark procedure which is set to significantly increase the number of lives saved for people waiting for a heart transplant has been carried out by experts from Papworth Hospital.

In response to the worldwide shortage of donor hearts for transplantation, a Papworth Hospital team led by Consultant Surgeon Stephen Large has identified a new source of donor hearts to save more lives.

Research shows that heart transplants from a new group of potential donors - known as non-heart beating donors - could save hundreds of lives internationally as the heart transplant waiting list continues to grow.

According to NHS Blood and Transplant, a non-heart beating donor is when a patient suffers a cardiac arrest and cannot be resuscitated whereas heartbeating donors are patients who have suffered permanent and irreversible brain injury such that their heart will stop beating in the next week or so.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Landmark-procedure-Papworth-Hospital-set/story-26237045-detail/story.html

Although the recipient of the heart has a Turkish name, he lives in London, I don't think his nationality is of great importance in this medical breakthrough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf