Author Topic: Turkish hospital holds body until the bill is paid.  (Read 5205 times)

Offline SteveJ

Re: Turkish hospital holds body until the bill is paid.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 05:41:26 AM »
KKOB - but did he make a deliberate attempt to defraud the insurance company (in order to get insured or gain a cheaper premium) or a genuine mistake (a slip of memory or pen) when filling in the application?

Based on personal experience I'd like to believe the latter but most of the other responders have assumed the former, based on what evidence I'm not too sure.

Offline philrose

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »
£25000 for three days in intensive care? Sounds as if the hospital is trying it on to me....

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
KKOB - but did he make a deliberate attempt to defraud the insurance company (in order to get insured or gain a cheaper premium) or a genuine mistake (a slip of memory or pen) when filling in the application? .

There's really only one person who'd know that, and he's not going to tell now.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
I could understand the date being wrong if the operation had been a few years ago. However, he was at the Wedding in August and the operation had been the month before in July.   Perhaps, he worried they would not insure him if the trip out to Turkey seemed a little soon after his operation?   I would imagine his wife would know.  I would also imagine she would not say.
It still seems a lot of money for three day's care in the hospital even with 24 hour attendance by staff.  If this family have no way of getting the money, I cannot see any good reason for the hospital to hold the body. 

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:26 AM »
As upsetting as this may be to the family and whether there was a deliberate attempt or not I can't see the hospital holding on to the body for too long. There must be 100's of cases of people being unable to pay their bills.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
From reading the media coverage (yeah I know, not the most reliable source) it seems that he had a stent fitted in July, and wanted to travel for a wedding in August.  He then told his travel insurer that the stent was fitted in June.

From what I know, the recommended time before flying after surgery, as advised by the NHS can be anywhere from a couple of days to six weeks - for a lot of ops it's perfectly safe to travel before then, but insurers work the numbers.  They know that if a complication arises at 35,000 feet or a foreign country then the bills really start to mount up. 

The figure I've seen regarding cardiac problems/surgery is six weeks - before six weeks they'll cover you, but after six weeks the premium will be considerably cheaper.

The issue the insurers have to deal with is a) did he make a genuine mistake or b) did he falsely state the date of his operation to secure a cheaper premium. 

If they required him to provide any supporting documentation, release paperwork, fit to fly letter etc then the date of the op would have been evident and it should have been treated as the former.  If they relied solely on the insured's statement of health then, unfortunately for the family, they'll have no option but to treat it as the latter.

Another salutary reminder why it is important to be totally frank and honest with your insurance company.

As regards the hospital, well they look at his body as an asset, thats all.  They want paid and as distasteful as it is, they have every right under Turkish law to keep hold of it until someone pays their bill.  Given the public reaction though, they'll probably give in and release it after a bit more huffing and puffing - or the insurers will work something out.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »
KKOB - but did he make a deliberate attempt to defraud the insurance company (in order to get insured or gain a cheaper premium) or a genuine mistake (a slip of memory or pen) when filling in the application?

Based on personal experience I'd like to believe the latter but most of the other responders have assumed the former, based on what evidence I'm not too sure.

"Most of the other responders" only believe the former to the same extent that you believe the latter Steve so why would your view be more likely or hold more weight than theirs? They made their opinion based on the information available - as did you.

Things aren't more likely because you believe them   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
Things aren't more likely because you believe them    ;)

I believe that !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »
See, that's unlikely  ;)

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 11:18:43 AM »
Well, one nights observation (hooked up to monitors) in ICU at Letoon cost me almost 1,800TL no doubt this guy had a whole lot more attention than I did, but I still don't see how they got it to £25K sterling for 3 days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf