Author Topic: Robbery from a Hotel Safe.  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Robbery from a Hotel Safe.
« on: September 08, 2015, 15:55:07 PM »
Just read on T.A.  today that a member noticed the money in the room safe was short, so he topped it up and it was short again, so he took a video of his wife putting money in the safe and counting it out. The money was short the next day.  He complained to the Manager who changed his room and told him if he accused the maid he (the Manager) would have to call the police and they would take finger prints and the guest would have to go to court.  Of course, the member declined and did not report the offence.  The Manager let the guest see a video taken outside the room door and just the maid and the guy who tops up the mini bar enteried.   Later he saw the maid and said she could not look at him.  The Manager asked him to sign a form to say he would not repeat what had happened on T.A. etc., he declined to sign.  The guest did say that there was a sticker on the safe and when they pulled it back there was a key hole. 
I am sorry this matter was not reported, because obviously, this will happen again.  The Hotel has been named on T.A

Offline Yoshi

• Newly Registered
Re: Robbery from a Hotel Safe.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 15:58:51 PM »
Jacqui what is TA ?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 16:02:07 PM »
Trip Advisor

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 16:08:27 PM »
I can open most of the standard digital hotel safes, without the code, in less than 5 seconds.

Do we ever use them?  Not a chance.

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 17:14:34 PM »
Problem is John, if you do not use them then the Travel Insurance will not pay out.   So, catch 22 really.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 17:23:25 PM »
Catch 22 as it may be, they are simply not secure.  It was a duty manager in a hotel in Spain who showed me how to open them - we'd forgotten the code and he came up to the room and I could not believe how simple it was for him to open the safe.  Took me two attempts to do it - and sad as it may seem, every time we go somewhere with a digital safe I give it a try.  Not been beaten yet.

His advice was to stick your valuables in a big envelope and get the hotel to put it in their safe.  Bearing in mind some of the places we've stayed in over the years, I'm not sure I'd go for that one either in many of them!

JF

Offline Lotty

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 17:27:39 PM »
I'd be tempted to leave a nice 'surprise' in there for the thief!  >:(

Offline marina

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 17:44:53 PM »
Catch 22 as it may be, they are simply not secure.  It was a duty manager in a hotel in Spain who showed me how to open them - we'd forgotten the code and he came up to the room and I could not believe how simple it was for him to open the safe. 
JF
Same thing happened to us earlier this year in Singapore.  Bit unnerving really when you see how easy it is but what do you do?!  I certainly don't want to be carrying round all passports, money, cards, travel documents especially for a big trip like that.  (And it would be me that was carrying them!  : :) )

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 20:17:20 PM »
My bankcard was stolen from the safe in our room in Spain.  The manager, initially full of sympathy, took no action.

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 20:17:53 PM »
A few years ago we had all my jewellary taken from the bedroom safe om our last night. The maid had an amazing snear on her face when she saw me as we left the next morning. Management were not intereted but we insisted the police come. They said there wasno sign of a break in(safe had be reclosed) and more or less tried to make out there had bee no jewellary , no thieft.
We were very delayed at the airport as we had to collect paperwork there.I lost my greatgreat grandads wath chain which I had had made into a bracelet, my engagement and eternity ring and a 1caret solitaire which my husdand bought for our silver wedding. The total value was around £8000 pounds.

The sting in the tail was though we produced receipts, valuations, pictures etc we had just renewed our insueance with a new firm (Pru) and hubby had missed thatwe were only covered  £2000 if out of the counrty. The insurers tried everything to get out of paying Why take it on holiday etc I was at fault for taking it . The assessment man was lovely and managed to get us £2000. I now have replacements for the rings at our own expence. I rarelywear them now as they do not have to same feel
as my own.   Now when I go on holiday I have good cubic copies which I wear.
The feeling of despair will never go away and I often go over it all again in my head.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf