Author Topic: Karagozler  (Read 3439 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Karagozler
« on: February 14, 2016, 18:56:00 PM »
Please can anyone tell me what Karagozler  is like as a place to live. Only went up as far as the visa office before. I believe it is further beyond there :-\

Many thanks

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: Karagozler
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 19:01:37 PM »
Karagolzler means black eyes.. The apartments on the LH side going towards the Marina dont get much sun in The Summer and it is very cold there in the Winter. According to friends who lived there but it is very easy to walk into Fethiye from there. A lot of it is built on very steep roads,,,

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 19:11:09 PM »
Karagozler starts roughly at the Rhodes ferry, all the way I believe to Letoonia

I've known several people with places in different parts of Karagozler, all have moved away, saying it is way too cold in winter, as the sun isn't high enough to get above the mountains at that end.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 19:22:11 PM »
Bit like Ovacik on sea then.. ;D
Looked at some apartments, says they have heating. I, m no good for the cold :-[

Offline mac2010

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »
The views are fantastic if you have plenty of money as it is the most expensive part of Fethiye to buy a nice place.Yes it does not get the sun all day but for 8 months of the year it is lovely.Not far from town just 5 mins and there is plenty of nice places to eat and drink.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 08:55:36 AM »
I agree the views are fabulous, but when it's cold it's REALLY cold. Perfect in the summer though.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »
Karagoz is a lead character in the traditional Turkish shadow puppet show so I suspect karagozler means shadow puppets - a suitable name for the people who live there in the shade all day! Isn't JohnF one of them?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »
Yep, although our place is in the posh bit  ;)

Seriously though, where we are (top of Ikinci Karagözler), it is suitable for all year round living as the couple of hundred (mostly Turkish families) others on our sitesi have proved.  Like everywhere else, they use a soba if it's a really cold one and electric heating if its mild.  When I've been there in Jan/Feb the heat from the AC units is enough to keep things liveable when it gets chilly.  Mind you, with lecky prices going the way they are, mibbe it's time to look at a soba if we're there during the winter (joke).

Going by the prices some places close to us have gone for recently (2 bed apt €150,000) you wouldn't know it was a cold, damp area that gets no sun from October to May...

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf