Author Topic: Rocu streaming stick  (Read 4789 times)

Offline pauline

Rocu streaming stick
« on: February 29, 2016, 18:00:04 PM »
Can you tell me please if this gizmo will work in Turkey on my tv. Tried a search but couldn't find it. Many thanks for any info, tips etc.

Thanks

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Rocu streaming stick
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 18:35:41 PM »
Yep, works in Turkey.  However, any content that is geo locked (i.e. not available to be streamed outside UK) will not work.  There are ways round this, using a VPN for instance.

JF

Offline pauline

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 20:02:57 PM »
Thanks JohnF. Sos follow-up question ... how does one sorta VPN please? Bit new to that side of things. ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
Depends how you connect to internet.  If its a via a standard router then something like PIA (or any of the other VPN companies) would be your way forward. 

Saying that, I know that a few of the companies that stream geo blocked content have been trying to block VPN IP addresses so probably best finding someone locally who is currently watching UK TV with a VPN and find out which company they use.

JF

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 21:52:27 PM »
Pauline, don't you connect to t'internet here using a dongle? If so, I'm sure that using a VPN to watch TV would be a non starter. I haven't a clue about Rocu, so perhaps one of the more techy can advise whether it would still be possible with a dongle.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 22:20:44 PM »
I think the Roku helpline might be worth a try. We have one in the UK - cracking bit of kit.

Offline pauline

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 22:41:52 PM »
Hi Liz, I use mobile WiFi but don't know if it will work or not.  Better ask roku techies I think. Ttlhanks for your responses everyone.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
Hi all,  just to say we have been using a firestick(Amazon) with kodi & mobdro installed this week with only stuff like bbc iplayer unable to use, majority of channels on mobdro & enough on our kodi build to watch, used a wifi modem with a speed just above 5Mbps

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 17:53:17 PM »
You will need a broadband service to stream TV service here, the mobile service providers will either skin you alive paying for the service or you will not get a good enough service.  John mentioned using a VPN to get round geo blocked services like ITV or BBC Iplayer, which is OK but for a TV service I think you are better off using a smart DNS service, it is cheaper than VPN and it provides a better quality solution than VPN.  Here in Turkey I use Overplay, both for VPN and smart DNS.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf