Author Topic: Surely You'd Do Some Research?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Surely You'd Do Some Research?
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
Apologies if this isn't the right place but it seemed as good as any....

A few days ago I met a couple - mid-30s-ish - who were here for the first time, attending a friend's wedding. They were only here for five days, staying in a neighbour's self-catering accommodation, and mentioned how much lighter their luggage would be going back as they'd been considerably over their limit on the way here and had to pay £50 excess baggage.

I was surprised but thought maybe it was because of their outfits, gifts or whatever...until they - very kindly - gave some friends and myself items they were leaving behind.

Not knowing "what kind of food they eat here" they had brought the following (and possibly more - this is just the stuff they gave us):

Six cans of tuna
A large-ish bottle of Heinz ketchup
A jar of mayonnaise
A jar of pesto
Eight packets of Batchelor's instant rice
Six packets of Batchelor's Pasta 'n' Sauce
A packet of cous cous
A bag of pasta twirls
Four tins of baked beans
Two tins of tomatoes
Two tins of tomato soup
A tube of tomato puree
A tube of garlic puree
A tub of Clover spread
A small bottle of sunflower oil

I'm not surprised their baggage was overweight!

But my point is, really.....when going someone new, do you not do a bit of research? Investigate the local area, the food, the facilities.... I know I do!

Other than that, they were very nice people and loved the place, so will hopefully be singing its praises to the folks back home.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Surely You'd Do Some Research?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »
  A few years ago I met some people on the main road by Eren Spot and they asked me where the Banks were. They were a couple

from northern England, judging by their accents, and two daughters around  25 to 30 years old. They had sold up in the UK and

had arrived in Turkey that morning to live.!! They hadn't got a clue about anything Turkish, banking, housing, the cost of things,

they had been once the year before, liked it, sold up and arrived. Later that evening I went with a Turkish friend to a bar in

Hisaronu and they were in there, very drunk, and sharing a microphone trying to sing. It was embarrassing and we left.

How could they sell up and move to a strange country they had only spent one week in previously, having done no research.

They were expecting to find jobs easily and live happily ever after.   Iv'e often wondered their fate,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf