Author Topic: travel insurance  (Read 4917 times)

Offline yakamoz

travel insurance
« on: March 20, 2017, 15:33:49 PM »
Just about to renew our annual travel insurance and wondered if anyone has any good recommendations for this year.  One of us has pre-existing conditions and over 70. Any advice would be gratefully received.
We normally stay in Turkey for six weeks at a time.

Offline marina

Re: travel insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 15:53:25 PM »
There's been a few threads on this subject fairly recently so if you do a search they should come up. However, we recently got an annual, worldwide policy for the two of us (medical conditions, recent major surgery, in our 60's etc!) with Avanti and were quite pleased with it. Worth a try.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 20:48:25 PM »
Also, try you Bank, some accounts give ongoing travel insurance and if you have medical conditions you just need to tell them.
We have Travel Insurance with our Bank and we have made a couple of claims with no problems.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 23:06:38 PM »
This has just reminded me I wanted to post an update on our situation...i phoned the co we are with Insure and go Saturday to sort out renewal...i was very pleaantly suprised it was only an extra £52 on declaring the recent prostate cancer diagonosis, I had to go thriugh a health questionaire and answered it all honestly, so pleased with that price...

Offline thebillet

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 00:02:43 AM »
We are with Nationwide and have a Flexplus account £10 per month fee, both 60+ with a couple of conditions - no extra for the health insurance,by comparison the quote from LV (one of martin Lewis favourite sites) was double the annual fee for the bank account and we get free breakdown, mobile insurance and extended warranty included with the account. Depends on your circumstances but they let you do a medical screening before signing up.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
I am just changing our Nationwide account to a flex+. Another added advantage is no ATM withdrawal fees in resort for local currency.
For info the travel insurance covers state hospitals rather than private if there is one available. For that reason I am keeping my own travel insurance having been on the receiving end of being kicked out of the Esnaf and sent to the Devlet state hospital at a time I could have done without.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
I dont blame you Bewva i think the right travel insurance is soo important, i really believed declaring my hubby's diagnosis and having it covered would be £100's extra but i was pleasantly suprised...it was actually more £80+ if id wished to cover my back pain she asked me about in the medical questionaire, my back to having high blood pressure, my chloesterol and anxiety prob...also the policy allows us to travel for up to 90 days in a single trip as many times as we like during the duration of the policy   :)

Offline yakamoz

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 13:05:05 PM »
Many thanks all for your suggestions.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 15:03:22 PM »
We have been using Nationwide travel insurance for a few years now but they will not cover Barrie for stroke unless he pays a ridiculous amount more. Strange thing is that they won't cover me for stroke either... Despite never even having a suggestion of one???   

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 15:38:24 PM »
Has anyone else been under the impression ever that if you do not have a return flight booked to the uk before you travel that your travel insurance wont be valid? I have been under this impression for a few years ever since someone who worked in insurance said its in the small print!
So today iv spoken to our insurers and asked the question...as husband is retiring in June we have outward flights booked but no returns as I thought it would be a little 'devilish' of us to do this  ;)I am very pleased that the insurers have said it is not true   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf