Author Topic: Bikes  (Read 4722 times)

Offline philrose

Re: Bikes
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
I had a cheap bike when we first moved here, after about a year I decided if I wanted to go anywhere further than the local shops I would need to upgrade to something better. I gave away my old bike to a neighbour and bought my bike in Fethiye about ten years ago (There were no bike shops in Calis then), and the difference was immediately apparent. I'm still riding the same bike now and apart from the odd service and several tyre changes it's still as good a new...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:44:21 AM by philrose »

Offline Phil

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
I would also give a big thumbs up for Ali who for over five years has been maintaining and repairing the bikes we provide for the guests at our Villa. His bills are never huge and a bike comes back from him as good as new.

Beware - there are two big bike shops on B.M.B. ( and in typical Turkish fashion I think I saw a third open in May). Ali is at Doga Bisiklet. His shop is just up ( ie heading away from Calis ) from Ayden Pide. He is NOT the bigger one nearer the Pork Shop.

You will pay more for a brand new bike from Ali - but the quality will be much, much better than the Supermarket ones. It will also be set up correctly for you from day one. ( I have seen people in Ali's getting him to set up a cheap bike they had bought elsewhere ). He also has some VERY serious looking bikes for sale for the enthusiasts.

You will soon get used to his promise that it will be done " by sunset" and he often has a serious hangover on a Sunday morning ! He is always closed on Tuesdays.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 13:27:04 PM »
Have to agree. If you are planning 20 mile bike rides and perhaps tackling the climb up to Babadag, then I would spend more on a bike, but most people who have a bike in Calis are happy just to pedal along the seafront to Fethiye or use it for nipping to the shops etc. One thing I would recommend though is a Gel seat cover to make your journeys more comfortable. Anyway tha pays thi money n tha takes thi choice. Hope you get fixed up with a couple of bikes and use the advice you have been given on here as you make your choice.
PS. I thought everything was made in China and if it looks to be a designer model it's probably a fake  ;D ;D

Offline Rayza

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 21:38:59 PM »
Thanks for all your advice. Will visit Ali when we're out in August

Offline bulla

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 15:21:08 PM »
Went to Ali by chance in May, he revamped an old style Dutch type bike for my daughter, done a brilliant job. Very nice person too

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf