Author Topic: Snap election  (Read 2407 times)

Offline yabanci

Snap election
« on: April 18, 2018, 15:01:54 PM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Snap election
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 17:20:07 PM »
Hurriyet was speculating last week that the AKP economic gurus thought one of reasons for the collapse of the lira was uncertainty in the markets about whether there were going to be snap elections this summer. So some were thinking that the way to put this doubt to rest would be to have snap elections. (There is a kind of twisted logic in this). That and the fact that the CHP and the new Iyi Party were starting to undermine the AKP popularity in the polls and may have completed the task by next year when the elections should be happening. I do hope this is Erdogan's version of Theresa May's "Vision on Snowdon" moment that has made her look so silly.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 19:19:29 PM »
The money markets seem to like it today

Offline lissa

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 20:31:30 PM »
And the MHP will be there with AKP. Very depressing I feel. If this guy gets in again, think he will be there for so long..... and what he has said he wants to do, it is starting to feel like a dictatorship. :(

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
What effect will this have in the exchange rate and value of the Lira?  The exchange rate has dropped in the U.K. overnight.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
It's a double whammy for the £. It was already down due to announcement of good UK inflation figures (suggesting it is less likely Bank of England will increase interest rate next month) then it went down against the lira on expectations of political stability in Turkey after the election which is predicted to give Erdogan the dictatorship "executive presidency" he craves.

Offline Taddy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 11:59:16 AM »
  I read on another site of an alcohol ban on election day.  England play Panama at 15.00 local time. I hope this rule does not apply to tourist areas. This is purely out of concern for Calis bar owners  ;). But you do need a beer to get through an England match....

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
There's always an alcohol ban on election days. Plenty of folks get around it.

Offline yabanci

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 13:18:38 PM »
and the fact that the CHP and the new Iyi Party were starting to undermine the AKP popularity in the polls

The new Iyi Parti roadshow rocked into Fethiye this lunchtime with a rally held in Beskasa Square where Mayor Saatchi,who has changed his political allegiance again made a speech along with Iyi Parti leader Meral Aksener.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf