Author Topic: Ground floor holiday home appartments  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Hazeln

• Newly Registered
Ground floor holiday home appartments
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Hi I’m hoping to buy a 2 bed apartment in a complex with swimming pool in Calis and probably not rent it out at first, just use it for myself, friends and family so it would be empty some of the time. Are there any risks to buying a ground floor property from break-ins etc.?
Also I see from this forum that interturk and coast2coast come highly recommended as agents but there’s not much on their sites right now. Is that because it’s particularly cheap to buy in Turkey at the moment so places are being sold really quickly or is it because it’s peak season no-one’s selling and maybe things will pick up again at the end of the season round November? Be great to tap into the wealth of knowledge I get the feeling is on here. Thanks!   :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ground floor holiday home appartments
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
We have a ground floor apartment which we use just as you described.  We do have someone on site 24hrs throughout the season and day time out with and have never had a problem.
Recently a couple of Turkish families have bought to live full time which helps too as there is always a presence of sorts on the complex
Prices vary from site to site but the last two two beds on our site sold for between 55k and 60k

Offline Hazeln

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 13:39:36 PM »
Thanks Anne - this is reassuring to know and that’s also the price I was thinking. I’d actually quite like it if there were some Turkish families so I could practice my now very basic Turkish though I’ve just signed up for a 10 week course to try and a bit more up to speed  :)

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 13:37:25 PM »
We have a ground floor apartment on a site of ten apartments we have been on there over 10 years now seen owners come and go but over the last five years we have had 2 Turkish families move in not sure if it helps with security as I don’t think we had any issues before that but I am sure it doesn’t harm. Most of the apartments have security bars on the windows we don’t  I personally don’t like them I think they are a fire risk there’s not a lot to steal when we aren’t there a tv that’s all we have a safe but don’t use it to obvious we have hiding spots for things like passports and money . When we go out I leave the tv on with a dvd running on a loop with shoes out side to make it look like we are in also an alarm box flashing out side as a visual for any wood be burglars we have locks on all the windows
We bought ours from Cenk and Olga at Intuturk and I have said this on many occasions we where once clients and now are treated like friends and I think most clients of there’s would say the same

Offline Hazeln

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
Thanks so much for your detailed response Trainer, this is really helpful advice. The tips are all things I’d consider if I did buy a ground floor flat. Agree about window bars. I’ll definitely be contacting Interturk very soon.
Best wishes
Hazel

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
one tip I always give (some people don't like it or don't want to hear it) is if you need to rent out to be able to buy "don't buy" the rental figures are always inflated the rental market is very competitive theirs lots of properties out there and the red tape costly and for some complicated and if you think friends and family will use it, well they do for the first few years then that will tail off

Offline strange

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 14:45:03 PM »
Very sound advice Trainer. When we bought it was on the advice that if you need rentals to be able to afford to keep it then don't buy it.
Fortunately our rentals over the years have been a bonus and exceeded what it costs us to run our property every year.
However, that might not have been the case.
We've seen people have to sell because they can't afford to run what is effectively a 'second home'.

Offline Hazeln

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 19:47:04 PM »
Sound advice both thanks. I figured renting would not pay by the time you’ve paid fees, tax etc so I’m not factoring that in for the moment. I’d sooner get a bit settled first and then look at options which could include renting out. I guess if everything goes to plan and I am able to buy a place and visit several times a year, I’d hopefully gradually get to know people like yourselves who really know the ropes. Thanks again   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf