Author Topic: Satellite TV  (Read 3050 times)

Offline maggie machin

Satellite TV
« on: March 30, 2006, 22:40:58 PM »
I have been talking to Insaat Communications in the UK, regarding watching Sky TV in Calis.  Apparently this is possible if you have a large enough dish, and then you pay for a card and a monthly subscription, as you would in the UK, plus an annual "host" admin fee.

The question is, is there anyone in Calis doing this at the moment, sharing a large dish, and sharing the costs, for example two or three neighbours.  This, I am told would work, and I just wondered if anyone had experience of this practice.  I am moving to Calis, permanently, next week, and in the future would consider bringing my Sky+ Box over, should it prove to be worthwhile.  Hope someone can help.  Thanks. Maggie Machin

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Satellite TV
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:30 AM »
I think it may be possible....but do you really want a dish about 12 feet in diameter in your garden[?]  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Satellite TV
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Erm...

I have one, but it is going to be set into the roof - hopefully flush depending on best angle for reception. It is sitting in my garden now, till I get living permission then it is bye bye roof, hello terrace (and seperate dish section, don't want to see it sitting next to me on the ol terrace).

In answer to the question, yes it is possible - but you can only share the dish - and up to a maximum of 4, using a quad LNB (getting technical now lol) - this would provide reception not for one box shared by 4 people, but for ONE DISH SHARED BY 4 DIGIBOXES - i.e. each user would need their own box and sky card/subscription.

If you have a Sky box, bring it, even with a 1.5m dish you can get Sky 1, all Sky Sports, all Sky Movies, Sky News and about 10 other UKTV type channels. Oh, and Channel 4 & 5.

Got to be better than the dire Digiturk. A 1.5m dish looks surprisingly small when at roof level.

Hope that helps.

Scunner

Offline richie-r

Satellite TV
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »
scunner could you please let us know what charges you pay to use your sky box in calis and do you pay via english bank account

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Satellite TV
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
I remember a massive dish on top of a bar in Calis near the water taxi. Thats not your dish is it Scunner?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Satellite TV
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:16:30 AM »
LOL no, that was a 5m dish, even too ridiculous for me. It came down soon after going up, maybe planes heading for Dalaman got confused like in Only Fools and Horses.

Richie - I have a friend who got mine as a multiroom second box so I pay them and they pay Sky. Sky soon realised it wasn't being used as a 2nd box (wasn't connected to telephone line) so I lost the £10 per month price for 2nd boxes.

So now, I pay what I would have in the UK.

Also, while I think of it, the brand/model of box makes a real difference, we are on the edge of the Astra beam (outside it in fact) so you need to get a good one if you can. Pace, (some)Thomson and (some) Panasonic boxes do best with the weak signal.

Scunner

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Satellite TV
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 13:35:22 PM »
If you have neighbours who want to share one dish, Scunner is correct with his mention of Quad LNBs. You would need four boxes and four subscriptions in order to get all the channels in four different locations.

I picked a quad lnb up on ebay for about £14 and it is great. You can also pick up second hand sky boxes for about £20. Sky will do multiroom for £10 per month and then the kids can watch what they want whilst you watch the footy.

Stoop

Offline maggie machin

Satellite TV
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 14:27:32 PM »
Dear Scunner

Thanks for your response to my query.  You sound extremely knowledgeable. Is there anyone in Calis (you perhaps) that would know how to connect up my Sky+ Box to the existing dish, which is indeed sitting in the garden on the rented house I am about to occupy from 11th April.  In fact does anyone know of a "tekkie" in the area that would be interested in some work setting up my "router" laptop, telephones and television set up.  If so, please let me know. I would be more than happy to pay the going rate, as would hate to be without my communications network. Sad eh? May not have the luxury of the laptop from the 6th onwards when I start travelling so my Turkish telephone number from the 11th will be (deleted) if anyone can help with any of the above.  And no, I do not want a huge dish in MY garden, I was selfishly thinking that anyone close to me who already had one, might share with me, and I could contribute to the cost!!!!! Cheers. Maggie

Maggie, I have deleted your phone number as it's not really advisable to post it on an open forum. If anyone wants to contact Maggie with offers of help etc then please PM her through her profile Stoop :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 15:00:43 PM by stoop »

Offline tytots

Satellite TV
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 19:21:26 PM »
Anyone know if or what stations you could get if you have no contract to sky, but have a card for your digibox & a extra large dish, eg. freeview? Elaine

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Satellite TV
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
BBC (all inc. CBBC, BBC Parliament etc)
ITV
CH4
Ch5
Sky 3 (don't ask me why 3)
Sky News