Author Topic: lenght of time in turkey  (Read 5530 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Newly Registered
lenght of time in turkey
« on: February 13, 2013, 13:41:45 PM »
Hi all,me and my partner are in the proccess of selling up and retiring to turkey,with a view to rent for a while,see if we like it then maybe buy.so far so good,but,Ive just been told that you can only stay in Turkey for 3 months then you have to leave for a month,before you can go back.Is this true?and if so how do you get around it.i cant believe thousands of ex pats haveto leave the country every 3 months.
any clarification would be appreciated,in fact,any advice at all would be great.
many thanks
Bogtrotter

Offline Diverbaz 1

Re: lenght of time in turkey
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 14:07:36 PM »

The visa is actually 90 days in 180 days, so yes using a tourist visa you would have to leave for 90 days. You need to get a residents visa, which can be purchased for up to 5 years at a time.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 14:23:20 PM »
...which you can apply for when you are there on a visitor/tourist visa.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 14:32:50 PM »
Hi all,me and my partner are in the proccess of selling up and retiring to turkey,with a view to rent for a while,see if we like it then maybe buy.so far so good,but,Ive just been told that you can only stay in Turkey for 3 months then you have to leave for a month,before you can go back.Is this true?and if so how do you get around it.i cant believe thousands of ex pats haveto leave the country every 3 months.
any clarification would be appreciated,in fact,any advice at all would be great.
many thanks
Bogtrotter

Why sell up then go to Turkey to see if you will like it, keep your property in the Uk and go to Turkey for long spells then decide.

Offline bogtrotter

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 16:03:54 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone,how easy/difficult is it to get a residents permit and how long does it take ;D

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 16:25:31 PM »
You can, Last i heard, only apply for a Resident Visa 2 weeks before your Tourist Visa runs out. I would suggest getting a competent Turk to do all the running about for/with you as you do need to do a lot of to & fro footwork. They will charge about 100tl + disbursements. I can recommend a couple, they are well worth the cost in time saving alone. I also would recommend, if you are able,renting out here for a period before a permanent move. Whichever you decide, be sure to make the most of Turkey. :D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 17:10:06 PM »
You can apply for a residents permit within 1) the 1st calendar month in which you arrive on a tourist visa or 2) in the last 15 days that you are able to stay on the tourist visa.

You have to prove that you can support yourself financially & as it's a bit of a faff, so getting someone to help you first time around, is not a bad idea. Also, the period of your resident's permit cannot extend beyond the validity of your passport, so if your passport is due to expire in the next year or so, you should consider renewing them now.

Depends on the time of year, but normally your resident's permit takes 7-14 days to process & your passport is retained throughout the process, so you won't be able to leave the country.

About 18 months ago, I paid IRO 1000tl for a 5 year permit & that included my "runner's" fee

Offline Marggie

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 15:10:11 PM »
Below is a link that lists the requirements for your residency visa.  We did ours about 10 months ago and for the two of us for 3 years residency plus the 149 tl "runners"fee (for a couple) it cost approximately £1200 tl.  I believe the cost of the Residency Book is now 190 tl.  As Liz101 said it is a bit of a faff doing it yourself.

http://www.caroletayfun.com/residency_permit.aspx

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 15:23:49 PM »
it cost approximately £1200 tl.   

How much Marggie? :D

Offline Marggie

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 15:45:45 PM »
Ha Ha, you must excuse me it is an age thing - 1200 tl.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf