Author Topic: Ovacik Family Split by UK Border Agency Rules  (Read 11041 times)

Offline simpsons

Ovacik Family Split by UK Border Agency Rules
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 19:11:12 PM »
Janice, I understand and sympathise with you and your husband about the procedures that the British Government put in place, and you are a genuine case. However, what I cannot understand is that living in Turkey for 2 years, and prefering to live in Turkey, When your business failed, your husband did not find work here, but instead you relocated to England. Surely if you love living in Turkey, he could have found work here instead of England.

Offline scooby doo

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 19:20:59 PM »
So when you ran out of money, why did you not stay in Turkey. Why go back to the UK, if you have no money it doesnt matter where you are.[?]
As for the lazy English sitting on their bums, im astonished, do you no every english person then, because i think your remarks are very offensive [:(!]

Offline booo

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 08:27:23 AM »
Janice, I agree that they should interview the couple.
simpsons - It is very hard to find work in Fethiye that is 12 months rather than seasonal

Offline simpsons

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by booo
simpsons - It is very hard to find work in Fethiye that is 12 months rather than seasonal

Then who runs all the businesses and shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc in winter? Cmon, if you are out of work in England, do you run off to another country to look for it? Theproblem is that a lot of Turks are fussy and want as much money for as little work. If I had to feed my family, I would take anything that pays. "Little money,is better than no money".

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
Once again a sweeping generalisation and stereotype card is played. I have found that "as much money for as little work", if you want to apply it to an entire nation, fits the British far better than the Turks. Have you considered that in the UK Janice could possibly easily find work, whereas in Turkey she would probably have been paid next to nothing (and have the very real prospect of not being paid at all) and also live with the prospect of deportation every day? They did what they needed to do after a bad business experience to keep the marriage and family together and fed - there is little comparison between this and the woman in the article who got carelessly pregnant to some bozo she had only recently met.

The racist opinions some people have of Turkish folk on here makes me wonder how they came to the decision to have anything to do with the country at all. I also wonder what our proud Turkish friends who are members make of it all.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
I agree with Keith here, it is too easy to play the sweeping generalisation of a nation and it's supposed national characteristics.  Or indeed how it looks like we are attacking an individual for the views they have expressed.

When I 'lit the blue touch paper' on this thread I tried, as a I always do, to be careful to stick to the specifics of this particular issue.  Which is what I would hope everyone else would do in a matter that does require to be handled thoughtfully and sensitivly.

However, where I differ from Scunner is that I think some of the unhelpful comments made here are not being made by racists making racist comments, but are in fact comments being made by probably very nice people - who do love Turkey and it's people - who have given little thought about what they are really saying, and how those comments are received by others on the forum.

I am glad we heard from Janice on her views on the matter, based on her own experiences.  What she said was different, not the opposite or conflictual to what some people were saying, just different.  Long may she continue to do so.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:46:08 AM by usedbustickets »

Offline simpsons

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »
Scunner, I dont wish to fall out with you or others on this matter, but I am entitled to my views. When I said "As much money, for as little work", please read that I did not say the entire nation (as you have stated), but said a lot, not all. This can apply to all nations not just English, but Scots, Welsh and Irish etc. What I am saying about this matter is that Janice and her husband loved living in Turkey, but when their business failed, the went to England to work. Fethiye is not a seasonal town, there is work all year round, the problem is that the ones that work in the tourist industry, suddenly at the end of season are all rushing to get the few jobs available. I believe if you are supporting a family, then you must be prepared to get full time employment and not 6 months here and there. My daughter is 27 and employed by Hillside Beach Club as a Beauty Therapist, for 6 months a year, 6 days a week, 13 hours a day. Yes, she earns good money, but she works bloody hard for it, sometimes she is in pain from doing 7 - 8 massages a day, but still she goes on, unlike the others she works with, who are always moaning they are not getting enough bonuses or money, because they are not prepared to put the work in but sit around smoking and drinking tea all day. I find that when you say British are lazy, and Turks are hard working, the you are insulting people like my daughter. As I said not all Turkish people are lazy, but dont put words in my mouth. After all (and I am not being funny) you slag of  some Turkish people saying they forced you out of Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 13:12:13 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion and your opinion remains in full view. That is the purpose of a discussion forum and I am not in the habit of falling out with members who have views that differ from mine. Good wholesome debate is a passion of mine and I try to generate it on the CBF. Now let me correct you on something. Nobody, Turkish, British or of any other nationality "forced me out of Turkey" and you will not find me saying that in even one of my far too many posts. We decided to go, we wanted to live in Scotland and never at any stage felt that we were being forced out in any way whatsoever. Indeed, I think we hung around too long in the end :D

And you talk about me putting words in your mouth!!!

Offline scooby doo

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 13:26:13 PM »
I agree with Simpsons. Its not racial its fact.But its ok to label ALL English as lazy bums, and not one person apart from simpsons has backed the english. Thats sad.

Offline simpsons

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 13:33:12 PM »
Sorry Scunner, but in previous topics you have said you had a gun shoved in you face and your family threatened. If thats not forcing, then I dont know what is

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf