Author Topic: completely fed up with dogs  (Read 15490 times)

Offline slartibartfast

completely fed up with dogs
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:20 AM »
We really like having a stroll round Ovacik and much as I love dogs and see myself as a "dog person" I am totally fed up by bejng barked at by big dogs, medium dogs, small dogs.....behind gates, roaming around, overseen by owners.

It makes walking about in the area quite unpleasant at times.

OK I know some people buy them for security but this Is beyond a joke.

My ideal holiday accessories would be pepper spary and a tazer gun if they were legal.  (havent decided if they would be best used on the dogs or the owners !)

Offline Bluwise

Re: completely fed up with dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:22:44 AM »
Pretty useless security if they bark at everyone and everything though -
Can't believe you haven't been slated for your last line - even if it is in jest!

Offline Linda

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:25 AM »
If the dogs are 'behind gates' what is the problem ... if they are barking they are being guard dogs and who can criticise them or their owners for that  : :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
Because the person walking past is out for a quiet evening stroll and has absolutely no intention of attempting to break into the property . :o

It happens here too - you park the car at the supermarket, get out and all of a sudden these lunatic of a dog in the car you have innocently parked beside jumps up and starts snarkling at you >:(

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »
.....and because the owners hear their dogs bark at everyone that walks past the gate and ignore it!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
you park the car at the supermarket, get out and all of a sudden these lunatic of a dog in the car you have innocently parked beside jumps up and starts snarkling at you >:(

Far more effective than any 'Thatcham approved' security system.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »
I'm sure that a proper alarm would be a more cost effective and indeed more efficient solution than many of these so called guard dogs.  My concern is the growing use of big breeds, like rotweillers, alsations and mastiffs/pit bull, they can and do often get out and then they are a danger!!  In many cases the use of the guard dog is cruel as they are chained up, usually to a short chain, all day, so no wonder they get aggresive .  I don't blame the dog though, it is the stupid owners who deserve to be chained up!

And don't get me started on the dog howl chorus.......

Offline Lotty

completely fed up with dogs
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
Must be hell for the neighbours too.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:41:50 AM »
Behind a gate is a figure of speech Linda ......as in behind a gate like the alsation we passed the other night.    It was going mental and on its hind legs its head and shoulders were well above the fence.     If it wanted out there was nothing to stop it.

Maybe not a great analogy but it reminded me of the selfishness of smokers many years ago. They were happy making me breath their 2nd hand smoke as they had "rights" so tough luck if you don't like it.

The "guard dogs" issue makes me feel it would be safer to carry some form of defense when I am out walking.  Sandles , shorts and a tee shirt doesnt stand up too well to a rogue dog  ( or is the owner who is rogue!)

If it put tourists off coming back that wont be good for anyone

Offline angela

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
We love getting out in the countryside when we are over, and find there is a dog chained up at just about every house. They all go mad at the end of the chain, and yes they make me jump, and I'm very glad there is a chain, but it won't put me off ever,  love the place and everything (apart from smokers!!) about it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf