Author Topic: Trying from seed  (Read 9635 times)

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
Trying from seed
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
Have planted today mostly in pots runner beans, broad beans , chillies (8 different types as I like it hot), Mongolian giant sunflower, glass corn, morning glory(think I've seen this growing wild) , nasturium, Livingstone daisys, choclate dahlia & a solitary pear seed from our tree we had in the UK, fingers crossed for some success.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Trying from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 13:41:15 PM »
Good luck with all that Lee, keep us informed how things are going.   I have planted lots in our garden, but often it depends on how much the Gardener waters them, so you are lucky you will be able to do all your own watering.     
Hibiscus grows well as do Oleanders we have a yellow Oleander we planted about 8 years ago and it is like a tree now.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 15:56:29 PM »
Carefull of the morning glory it takes over the garden and can be the devil to get rid of

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 14:37:33 PM »
Update,  a couple of the runner beans are up & the majority of the broad beans, 1 (seeds were old so happy with this) of the 3 Mongolian giant sunflower is up, glass corn, morning glory, nasturium, livingstone daisys all doing Well, nothing from the chocolate dahlia or pear  :'( yet but don't expect to see the chillies until another week but the 5 chilli plants I brought from the UK are doing Well, planted some red sprouts last week that have all started to grow just need some land for when  they are bigger  :o Now, off to koco calis tomorrow to give/plant some glass corn in there land.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 16:13:50 PM »

Along the covered kanal path at the Tuesday Market there are locals selling all sorts of young plants, for anyone that

fancies growing their own fruit, veg & flowers. They also sell Tobacco in black bags but iv'e heard varying reports on the quality.

Good luck with your seeds Lee and keep us up to date.Sounds as though you're settling in well.        ;)   

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
Cheers Kevin bought some chilli plants from the Tuesday market last week & a couple of strawberry plants at calis market last Sunday, don't expect the chillies to be as hot as the ones i am already growing, also have some parsnip seeds but going to wait until I have decent enough soil to be successful with.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »
You'll be everybody's friend if you're growing parsnips. Expats are always on the beg for 'em.  ;)

Offline George Warner

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
We have successfully grown parsnips and are doing so now,also celery,curly kale,our Turkish neighbors love it,we have Rhubarb stalks just about ready for pulling,the biggest problem is the summer heat officially Rhubarb doesn't like temps above 30,ours which we grew from seed isn't aware of that! and in the winter, water logging after a number of try's we now grow it in big pots and move into shade.
Not having much luck at the moment with Goose berries or blackcurrants,we think the plants may have suffered being bought over as hold luggage with the cold.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 14:09:22 PM »
Bit of an update for those who are interested, no luck with the chocolate dahlia seed & the livingstone daisy turned out to be electric daisy seeds (used by some country's in food or mild tooth ache relief) but i grew for fun as chewing the leaves & especially the petal less flower heads is a bit like the effects of putting a 9 volt battery on you're tongue if you have ever tried.

Runner beans despite growing well & flowering I think it's too hot for runner beans to set  :(

Purple sprouts germinated well & have planted some among the roses were we currently live.

Mongolian sunflower 2 of the 4 old seeds I had have grown.

Nasturium germinated well & gave some plants to a neighbour.

Pear & cherry seeds no luck but will try some more cherry seeds later this year.

A few broad beans & flowers still coming, French beans doing Well, chillies I bought at calis market have had chillies from & have flowers appearing again, 4 of the 5(1 didn't survive) chillies doing Well, 3(Trinidad scorpion, fatalli, scotch bonnet) have fruit & flowers & the white jalapeno flowers about to turn to fruit.

Chillies grown from seed all apart from 1 type I was given by Omar in Joseph's last year have grown with only the pink tiger chilli producing one plant, 2 of these have flowers already.

Next month intend to start swede but ideally need a frost for these to taste best.

Mongolian sun flower

Nasturium

Red sprouts

Broad beans, sunflower, glass corn

Wife's wellies from age 2

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 14:27:54 PM »
Continued

Runner beans

Trinidad scorpion chilli