Author Topic: TL slipping again  (Read 56652 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: TL slipping again
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »

Turkey’s lira fell to a fresh record low past 8 per dollar, a key psychological level for investors, after President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan challenged the United States to impose economic sanctions on the country for its testing of Russian-made S-400 missiles.

https://ahvalnews.com/turkish-lira/turkish-lira-drops-record-low-erdogan-dares-us-impose-sanctions

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2020, 19:15:35 PM »
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on the country’s citizens to boycott French products as anger in the Muslim world intensified over French President Emmanuel Macron’s comments on Islam.

“I am calling on my nation, do not buy French products,” Erdoğan said in a televised speech at the presidential palace in Ankara on Monday.

Given that France is among the few countries which Turkey maintains a trade surplus with and the country’s exports to France total $7.9 billion while imports register at $6.8 billion it'll be interesting to see if Reggie's latest spat will have further detrimental effects on the value of the Turkish Lira.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »
Zut alors !

Offline hornedfrog

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
10.75 TL at 08.02 this morning; guessing the recent news that Germany has closed all travel to Turkey hasn't helped, either.

Do I load up on TL or will it slide further? Hmmm...

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
I don't think it'll make much difference for the short-term as the season's ended. Depends on whether and when they lift the advice for the start of next year.

It's just gone to 10.8154. Might be worth taking a punt on a few hundred quids worth of TL as a long-term investment. Depends on how much further you think the TL's likely to fall before / if it recovers.

Offline marina

« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »
I bought  some Tl a couple of months ago just to keep until we could get over there again because the rate was so good - at the time. Got 9.24 and thought it wouldn't get much higher!
Always a risk but by the time we get out again there's no telling what it might be  : :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »
Always a risk because for 10 years in a row, buying Lira for next year has been a disastrous idea

Offline marina

« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Well I didn't spend more than I could afford to lose even if gamble didn't pay off. At least I'll have a bit of spending money when we go. Maybe enough for a  efes   ;)

Offline daveG

« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
We always take back £100 each but this time it was nearer £280 between us.!!! this was last Oct at an exchange rate of 7tl
to £ nett result £100 less  :o and growing. Still due to the unforeseen circumstances saved on airfares etc :angel:

Offline marina

« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2020, 13:51:49 PM »
Exactly daveG. Not been away since our month in Calis last October so have a whole year's holiday budget waiting to be spent   ;)   A lot to catch up on when we can get away  : :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf