Author Topic: Security cameras!  (Read 5826 times)

Offline saoirse

Security cameras!
« on: May 29, 2007, 15:17:16 PM »
I was out for the past 3 weeks, shuttling between Fethiye and Uzumlu where I plan to build a place and live. I was horrified to overhear that some British ex pats are considering the erection of security cameras in the village! Someone please tell me this madcap, ill thought out , "solution to a problem that doesnt exist" nonesense is just not true!

Offline jsp51

Security cameras!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 16:20:20 PM »
Please please tell me this is a wind up!!
If ex-pats miss security cameras so much may I suggest they get themselves back to the UK, we have plenty here, they will be wanting traffic wardens and wheel clampers next!!!

Offline saoirse

Security cameras!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 16:25:57 PM »
apparently it is some  English ex policeman who lives in the village who is something to do with the residents committee. it is in my opinion a ridiculous idea on so many levels not least the resentment it could cause with local people

Offline jsp51

Security cameras!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 16:05:20 PM »
Suppose you have to have sympathy for anyone who thinks like this, but i'm afraid the old saing "once a copper always a copper" comes to mind. Lets hope the idea is treaed with the contempt it deserves and is binned. I for one would'nt like to see any form of spying equipment on the sreets of the village. My advice to this person would be, if you feel unsafe in the villge , then move, do not spoil it for the rest of us.
It would be nice if this person lived up to his convictions and came on here with his reasons for such a ludicrous idea.
I look forward to hearing from him.

Offline Firo

Security cameras!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 16:58:50 PM »
Facts...
6 or 7 houses broken into in one night last week (and our was one of them)
Idea came from the head of Jandarma in Uzumlu (not an UK ex policeman, get your facts straight please)for cameras to be placed at exits/entrances on main roads to record vehicles that enter the village as a deterrent as well as being able to record any vehicles that enter the village.
Jandarma have been magnificent throughout but had no idea who had commited the break ins.
Luckily they got stopped by traffic polce for speeding,4 days later, 4 hours away and some of the stolen goods recovered.
Let the residents decide what they want as its not us suggesting it but it is up to those that live in Uzumlu to decide one way or the other.
Fi & Eric

Offline jsp51

Security cameras!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 18:55:50 PM »
Not good news, were you in Turkey when this happened or was your house empty?
Hope you did not sustain much damage and your losses were not much. We all never wanted to hear of this sort of thing going on in the village, does anyone think that this was a one off opertunist adventure or do residents think this may be the new "norm".

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Security cameras!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »
It will happen in any area where a large number of properties are unoccupied and intruders are not likely to be disturbed.:(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:09:20 AM by tribalelder »

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
Security cameras!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:31:11 AM »
Friends of ours have a place in Florida.....one of their neighbours had their house stripped last year.

Apparently drove up in a lorry and loaded everything in including the carpets-police reckon they would used to refurbish the same design of house-how cheeky is that!

I guess with all the new builds in the Uzumlu area new furniture, electrical goods etc could be sweet pickings...

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Security cameras!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
We have a home in Uzumlu - and yes security is a concern for us.  However I have to say that I believe that security should be down to the individual.  To erect security cameras in public places in such a 'traditional' village is outrageous.  Please please please bear in mind the thoughts, values and culture of the locals, and when I say locals I don't mean the ex-pat community, I mean the REAL locals.  It is they that are kind enough to share their village with us, and they that have welcomed us so generously.  Ok, so we have bought money into the village, but if we are not careful, we could ruin the very thing that we all found so attractive in Uzumlu - the peace, tranquility and traditional culture.   (excuse me while I climb off my soapbox !!). :-\

Offline saoirse

Security cameras!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 10:09:11 AM »
VERY well said Pookie. Couldnt agree with you more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf