Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 20497 times)

Offline Eric

Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 13:17:17 PM »
Scunner,

According to the locals who are organising this, it is a Cement factory NOT a concrete factory.  We asked this very question ourselves and were told emphatically it is a Cement factory with all the pollution that entails.

Eric

Offline Eric

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 13:21:13 PM »
Voyager,

It is in Koru, on the hillside that overlooks Incikoy and Uzumlu.  The effects of the pollution from the Cement Factory will be felt all along the valley through Incikoy and Uzumlu, not forgetting all the extra lorries that will be coming and going up the Uzumlu/Fethye road.

Eric

Offline batman

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 14:39:47 PM »
Just to inspire confidence, all the machinary is comming from India.

Offline voyageur

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 16:05:29 PM »
Thanks Eric but in your previous posts you did say say the Denizli road and |Uzumlu. Do not get me wrong I am against this as much as anyone else but do get the facts right.!!
Voyager,

It is in Koru, on the hillside that overlooks Incikoy and Uzumlu.  The effects of the pollution from the Cement Factory will be felt all along the valley through Incikoy and Uzumlu, not forgetting all the extra lorries that will be coming and going up the Uzumlu/Fethye road.

Eric
[/quote]

Offline voyageur

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 16:08:59 PM »
You need gypsum and chalk to make cement is there really gypsum in there hills?
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Scunner,

According to the locals who are organising this, it is a Cement factory NOT a concrete factory.  We asked this very question ourselves and were told emphatically it is a Cement factory with all the pollution that entails.

Eric

Offline Eric

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 16:12:52 PM »
Okay Voyager, my geography is not spot on but I think everyone knows where we mean.:D  Only lived here for 3 1/2 months so far so still learning the exact villages and their names.  Lets not detract from the importance of this, anyone who has a vested interest in Uzumlu, Incikoy or Koru should attend this meeting even if it is just to get all the facts from the people who know.[^]  

Eric
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 16:14:28 PM by Eric »

Offline Don

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 14:58:08 PM »
Bl**dy hell thats all we need!! keep us informed of how the meeting goes Eric
Thanks Don

Offline Eric

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 16:47:11 PM »
Will do.

Eric

Offline hoops man

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »
Missed this.i only heard yesterday about it all.Sorry i missed the meeting.i have land in uzumlu and if this goes ahead i know there will be big problems in the future.Can anyone who attended the meeting on 13th please let everyone know what was said and keep us all upto date.Again sorry for missing this  and if there are any future meetings i will be there.
Ronnie

Offline Eric

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
The meeting was well attended and the tea house was full with a mixture of ex pats, Turks and some Germans.
It transpired that it has not gone through the full consultation & planning process yet and there was a representative from the Fethiye Chamber of architects who are responsable for the enviromental issues and he had not had it on his desk as of yet. He was in support of the action to stop it and offered some help financially towards the running costs of a committee. The next step is to get the committee organised and then start the job of contacting all depts that they think might be able to help stop it. If anyone has friends or contacts with Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc let them know and see if they can help.
It is a "mini" cement factory,25mt chimney, with the capacity to process 500 tons per day but the owner has said they will only be processing 200 tons per day? Reason given by them for building it was it would save them 20 ytl per bag. It could affect an area of up to 40 km with dust and pollution.
The locals who had 1st agreed in Koru have now been told the full implications of the health hazards etc and are now not supporting the factory as is Incirkoy.
A petition is still going around and is over 700 signatures so far but there are still lots of people who are not aware of what is happening so if you know anyone affected in the general area please let them know.
The general feeling was that it still was stoppable with the support of all the people who live here and it was planned to continue talking to the villagers so that they understand how importatnt it is that it does not go ahead.
Some builders were there (missed you Keith & Yetkin)as it will affect the price of land and houses if it goes ahead but more support is required so if you are in Uzumlu please contact me if you want to sign the petition and show your support.
Hopefully this gives you all a better picture of the meeting and the issue so please do not be complacent and help stop it.
Contact me via profile if you want any more info and I will do my best to try and get the answers.
Many thanks
Fi
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:39:58 AM by Eric »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf