Author Topic: Crikes - water bill  (Read 7597 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »
The absolute gullibility of some people who buy property over here never ceases to amaze me. Surely when buying/renting a new property in the U.K. you would have a closing/opening meter reading carried out by the utility company concerned?? It's law,so why doesn't everyone do the same here? It's so simple to take meter readings, a child could do it!! The builder is responsible for water/electricity payments until you move in and take readings, if you have been living in the property for a length of time before you get Tapu, surely you don't expect the builder to pay for your usage during that time??

Maybe Loz and I have just been very fortunate in our time here, including our house purchase, but I think the fact that we were closely involved in all stages of the transaction, has more to do with it!!  NEVER been "ripped off".
Gordy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:20:26 AM by GordonA »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:30:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA

The absolute gullibility of some people who buy property over here never ceases to amaze me.

Gordon, one thing I am not, is gullible !  What I am, is stuck in the UK, trusting builders and Agents to do things on my behalf.  Meters weren't even on site when we first visited, then months later, after completion and Tapu, we are told everything is in hand and bills will arrive any day.  The Agent took the readings and was supposedly sorting it out.  At no stage have we lived there, purely fleeting visits.  A year after Tapu and constant chasing and this is what we end up with.  We did expect a large bill, but not this large.  Think your post was quite harsh given that we have our hands tied and are at the total mercy of other people to sort out our affairs.    I am ascertaining from other posts that this amount doesn't seem to be totally out of line.   We are out next week and we shall take control ourselves and ensure that we are fully aware of how much water is being used for the pool and garden in our absence.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 13:42:30 PM »
Pookie go on you tell him!  I told him at the time he was being far to harsh.

It is difficult when purchasing abroad and residing in the UK, our friends who have purchased here have been lucky in as much as I have taken meter readings for them when they started to use the properties prior to receipt of Tapu; then I have read them again to ensure that the readings are correct or approx..

Friends have recently moved into a villa which is still using Builders electricity for 2 villas, again I have taken the readings, when and if he demands payment we can work out an approx consumption.

I know this will mean more work for many agents, maybe it should be on a "check" list for buyers to start pushing for.

As for Gordon taking meter readings, well he only knows where the meters are sited, where the trip switches are, and the buttons for the remote control.

As for being ripped off, he has been many times, usually by me..
:D: :) ;) the first time it took him 18months to find out, and 1 year for the other "rip off"  don't mention Chestnut furniture, or watches and clocks, and how time flies! : :)

Offline calvin 1949

Crikes - water bill
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 13:48:18 PM »
Hi Loz whos wound Gorden up hes like a dog with its hackles up Pookie is only asking for other peoples  advice and help,chill out Gord

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 13:54:29 PM »
I wound him up!:D  told him to get out and do the garden, I started it and he had to get on and finish the job, then the police turned up and had a moan at him, so not the best of times.  

He is a "teddy bear" really just has the reputation of a grizzly to live upto:D ;): :)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 14:30:34 PM »
Thanks for springing to my defence folks  -  I put it down to pmt !  (Gordon's not mine !).  I do see where he comes from though - some people are naive and gullible and go into things blindfold.  But we didn't !  We were aware of the pitfalls, but had our hands tied.  Any way Gordon - I forgive you [:X][:X]

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 14:51:39 PM »
:DLoz, I think you should buy Gordon a slippy pole for him to practice on in the garden. ;)

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 20:19:42 PM »
Although we took readings etc the water board still wanted their money, the builder wouldnt pay, we had lived there for four months, had a one month old baby, an £800 water bill and being threatened with having our water cut off, not a pleasant situation to be in.
To keep our water supply we paid, then had to recover the money from the builder, which wasnt easy.
Beware, in Turkey previous debts can be carried on to the new owner.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 15:26:33 PM »
Apologies to all concerned, I didn't mean to come across so harshly,I AM just a big old Teddy Bear, no, really, I am,:D: :) ;)
Hope all works out well.
Gordy,
 P.S. NEVER ask Loz what time it is 8) :o

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
Crikes - water bill
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 16:31:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA
 P.S. NEVER ask Loz what time it is 8) :o

[?] :-\ Now, we are ALL interested Gordy :D:D ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf