Author Topic: driving out with dogs  (Read 2065 times)

Offline scorcher

driving out with dogs
« on: October 18, 2007, 20:48:18 PM »
does anyone have experience of driving from UK to Fethiye/Uzumlu with dogs?  advice on total time, ferries if appropriate/other routes etc?  and dog-friendly stopping hotels.  Total time for journey, given that it would necessarily be slower?  many thanks

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
driving out with dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 21:34:18 PM »
Well, Pauline (my German Shepard) was rubbish.. he wouldn't indicate, he was rude to other drivers etc. Where as Julian (my Whippet) was an excellent driver considering he had never driven on the left before.

Sorry Scorcher, I couldn't resist. Somebody will be along soon with a serious answer.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
driving out with dogs
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 03:28:48 AM »
Don't do it mate ! Fly the dog(s).

Offline voyageur

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:07:57 AM »
Its a wonder your whippet got you here we drive on the right from calais to Turkey!!! ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Steve B

Well, Pauline (my German Shepard) was rubbish.. he wouldn't indicate, he was rude to other drivers etc. Where as Julian (my Whippet) was an excellent driver considering he had never driven on the left before.

Sorry Scorcher, I couldn't resist. Somebody will be along soon with a serious answer.

Offline Firo

driving out with dogs
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:20:01 AM »
Scorcher,
We drove over in April from S. Wales to Uzumlu with one dog.
Pm me for details but it was easy and in our opinion less stressful for the dog.
In brief our route was Eurotunnel to Calais, Calais to Switzerland, Switerland to Ancona in Italy this took us 2 and half days. Ancona to Cesme ferry 3 nights and then Cesme to Uzumlu. Great roads throughout.
You can drive totally overland but obviously that takes another 3 - 4 days.
Plenty of dog friendly hotels on route for overnight stops. Ferry runs once a week on a Sat evening getting into Cesme early Tues am.
I can be more detailed if you contact me through profile.
Cheers
Fi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf