Author Topic: Storms  (Read 4589 times)

Offline carlan

Storms
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 14:38:03 PM »
Hello Mr Tippet, thanks for your reply.  Having stayed in Bezirgan and Kaya over a good few years now, I am a little used to the fickle electricity supply in mountain villages, which isn't always caused by storms!! Though I do appreciate the difference between a two week holiday and actually living there.
I was more concerned about the possibility of flooding, but pookie did mention the rain was soon absorbed by the fields, which is good to know. We are surrounded by a large range of high fells here, and when it rains really heavy, it all runs off the fells flooding our roads in places and some properties get flooded out. So again, I was wondering what the situation can be like in Uzumlu, and thought, who better to ask than those who live there, so thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 14:40:34 PM by carlan »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Storms
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 15:31:24 PM »
I didn't conveniently overlook at all !! Electricity is something that comes and goes and is so much a part of life in Uzumlu that we really don't notice or even mind anymore.  Just great fun fumbling around in the dark......you never know what you might find  :o 8)  Scunner is right, I wasn't there last weekend, but we probably did lose the lecky in October too.....but hey ! who gives a fig ? ;)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Storms
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 15:33:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by laffa

:D Love it, out with the wllies then, ;)

Laffa -   :o  plenty of those on show - all colours, shapes and sizes : :) ;)

Offline carlan

Storms
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 15:35:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

I didn't conveniently overlook at all !! Electricity is something that comes and goes and is so much a part of life in Uzumlu that we really don't notice or even mind anymore.  Just great fun fumbling around in the dark......you never know what you might find  :o 8)  Scunner is right, I wasn't there last weekend, but we probably did lose the lecky in October too.....but hey ! who gives a fig ? ;)

Shouldn't that have been "who gives a grape" pookie? (lol :))

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Storms
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 15:39:35 PM »
(just like a bus -  nothing for ages and then three posts from me all come along together...!).  I know this was a thread about storms last weekend in Uzumlu, but I'd like to add that we visited Kalkan the day after storms in October.  The entire brick road had been lifted and destroyed by the flood water.  I didn't have my camara with me, but it was shocking.  Half the road had ended up in the harbour, so I guess little old Uzumlu was very lucky.  

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Storms
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 16:01:05 PM »
According to the online version of Turkish Daily News, there have been up to 150 greenhouses collapsed in the Fethiye area and 300 small boats lost in the Aegean region.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 16:02:06 PM by KKOB »

Offline Firo

Storms
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 17:11:45 PM »
Carlan,
The storms last week were spectacular here in Uzumlu and lasted 2 days on & off. No landslides that we have heard about but then the ground was already pretty wet (great for gardening) so apart from thunder, lightning and a power cut it was not too bad. Our pool overflowed so it was down to the pump room for Eric to lower the water level.
Even though the electric was off from 4-10pm we fared better than others as Ovacik had no electric for days and apparantly during the worst of the storms Dalaman, Fethiye and all the surrounding area was blacked out. Lots of candles required and make sure you have a gas hob so you can still cook.
Weather in the extreme I think its called.
Fi

Offline carlan

Storms
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 17:46:17 PM »
Your reply covered my question pretty well, thanks Firo.
Forewarned is forearmed as they say, batten down the hatches I think!! Thanks again.

Offline Firo

Storms
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 17:54:18 PM »
Forgot to mention, a generator is a good investment too

Offline Susan1

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris tippett

Dear Carlan, Pookie conveniently forgets to say that the electric went off in Uzumlu for 6 hours - yes 6 hours - from 4pm till 10 pm on Saturday and on/off intermitently on Sunday. It is standard here that when you get a storm, especially an electric storm, we routinely lose the electric. Unlike uk where you can contact the electricity board to find out the problem, there is no one here to ask so you sit around in darkness and go to bed about 8pm! When you move out remember to pack torches and candles. Welcome to Turkey!

Hi Mr or Mrs Chris,

Not surprised by your post,  you have nothing good to say regarding Turkey, you must have closed your eyes and stuck a pin in the world map to decide where to buy a house.

Where in Uzumlu do you live, so I know not to buy a place in that area. lol

Susan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf