Author Topic: Cement Factory Urgent help required  (Read 20217 times)

Offline Eric

Cement Factory Urgent help required
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
This is my latest press release.

Uzumlu:.. Wake up call.

Foreign people who own properties need to wake up to the realities of what is happening in Uzumlu.
Not only in Uzumlu but Fethiye, Calis, Ovacik, any one within 40kms
There is a Turkish law that states that no industrial unit that emits smoke, dust etc can be built within 3 kms of olive groves and after we protested, we managed to get a second CED report done that proved without doubt that there are at least 4 olive groves within that area. This should have stopped Urantas in their tracks but today we have learned that the 2nd CED report has not gone to Ankara and the Environment Ministry in Ankara have issued permission for the factory to proceed. It clearly shows that money and contacts are still in force in the country.

Only last week the Prime Minister was quoted as saying that corruption had been eradicated in Turkey? Not so we say and this clearly shows that the statement was false.

We need all concerned residents to contact British newspapers, TV, The British Embassy in Ankara demanding that laws are followed.
You may think it will not affect you but it will. You will be seeing huge increases in dust, mercury & dioxin emissions which will affect you health as well as the investment you have in your homes in the area. Please do not leave it to others to try and fight, we need everyone fighting and showing that the foreigners who have made the Fethiye area rich have a right to protect their health and investments.
The fight is still being fought by our Turkish committee but they need us to get off our comfy chairs and start shouting louder that we will be listened to. It is still winnable so please if you know people with newspaper or TV contacts get in touch. If you are prepared to send a letter off to different organisations I will willingly write a letter you can send on.
Please stop the attitude that it will not affect you and support us in any way you can.

We also have a new letter of protest and contact list available so if you want to help contact me and I can send it over to you all.
We need as much public protest letters and publicity as possible so please help as it will affect everyone which includes Calis, Fethiye & Ovacik areas.
Thanks
Fi

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »
Hi Fi  - happy to do what we can.  Not sure if the email link is working, but pls do send us lists / letters etc and we will start shouting too.

Are their any members, contacts, friends, collegues who could take this report personally to Ankara ?(sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, not sure how the system works, but thought it may be worth a try).

Toni and Andy

Offline The Crinklies

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
Fi please let us have the contact list etc., as we want to help as much as we can, thanks.

Sue

Offline nicko

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 14:11:28 PM »
Contacts list to me as well, hang on in there. We're back in April, this time on two legs!! so will help where we can
Nick

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 14:40:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

Hi Fi  - happy to do what we can.  Not sure if the email link is working, but pls do send us lists / letters etc and we will start shouting too.

Are their any members, contacts, friends, collegues who could take this report personally to Ankara ?(sorry if this is a stupid suggestion, not sure how the system works, but thought it may be worth a try).
Toni and Andy

Hi Pookie, Starman recently mentioned having lunch with some high ranking officials, might be worth asking him, good luck all  :)

Offline elaina

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 15:03:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

This is my latest press release.

Uzumlu:.. Wake up call.

Foreign people who own properties need to wake up to the realities of what is happening in Uzumlu.
Not only in Uzumlu but Fethiye, Calis, Ovacik, any one within 40kms
There is a Turkish law that states that no industrial unit that emits smoke, dust etc can be built within 3 kms of olive groves and after we protested, we managed to get a second CED report done that proved without doubt that there are at least 4 olive groves within that area. This should have stopped Urantas in their tracks but today we have learned that the 2nd CED report has not gone to Ankara and the Environment Ministry in Ankara have issued permission for the factory to proceed. It clearly shows that money and contacts are still in force in the country.

Only last week the Prime Minister was quoted as saying that corruption had been eradicated in Turkey? Not so we say and this clearly shows that the statement was false.

We need all concerned residents to contact British newspapers, TV, The British Embassy in Ankara demanding that laws are followed.
You may think it will not affect you but it will. You will be seeing huge increases in dust, mercury & dioxin emissions which will affect you health as well as the investment you have in your homes in the area. Please do not leave it to others to try and fight, we need everyone fighting and showing that the foreigners who have made the Fethiye area rich have a right to protect their health and investments.
The fight is still being fought by our Turkish committee but they need us to get off our comfy chairs and start shouting louder that we will be listened to. It is still winnable so please if you know people with newspaper or TV contacts get in touch. If you are prepared to send a letter off to different organisations I will willingly write a letter you can send on.
Please stop the attitude that it will not affect you and support us in any way you can.

We also have a new letter of protest and contact list available so if you want to help contact me and I can send it over to you all.
We need as much public protest letters and publicity as possible so please help as it will affect everyone which includes Calis, Fethiye & Ovacik areas.
Thanks
Fi

I am willing to help in any way I can - I think we need to publicise what is happening here as much as possible - Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, etc.   There is certainly some underhanded business going on here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 15:06:04 PM by elaina »

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 16:26:05 PM »
Thanks guys & gals but you need to contact me through CBF so I can send the letter to you.
Just click on my user name and from there you can email me and I can then forward the letter etc.
Cheers
Fi

Offline carlan

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 21:08:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Thanks guys & gals but you need to contact me through CBF so I can send the letter to you.
Just click on my user name and from there you can email me and I can then forward the letter etc.
Cheers
Fi

Have emailed you for info, only too happy to help where we can!

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 17:09:51 PM »
Bugger, and there was I just cancelled the 'Factory View' house sign!!!!!!!
Turkey, corruption - whatever next?
Before I jump out of my comfy chair I would like to know what the mayors and ruling bodies of Fethiye, Calis, Ovacik and of course here in Uzumlu have done and are doing to combat this evil? Not too much by the sound of things. After all this is their country. We're just foreigners.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 17:18:48 PM »
Correct

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf