Author Topic: Cement Factory Urgent help required  (Read 20218 times)

Offline elaina

Cement Factory Urgent help required
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
Now that it looks like the cement factory is going to go ahead are the estate agents selling property in the area being honest and advising prospective puchasers of properties of the plans, or are they still trying to sell the properties hoping that people will not find out?  I have looked at a number of the websites and can find no evidence that people are being made aware, I suppose that is because if they know they will understandably not want to buy so what will happen to all the empty buildings still for sale there.  There is a property exhibition in Manchester this weekend run by "A Place in the Sun" and how many Turkish Estate Agents there will still be pushing to sell property in Uzumlu hoping that the plans are not common knowledge - it may be worth sending a quick e-mail to the exhibition organisers to highlight what is going to happen, because if I was a prospective puchaser I would certainly want to know.  I think publicity is the only way forward now.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 13:28:51 PM »
Elaina

I'm pretty sure many of the agents/builders will continue to sell houses in Uzumlu without mentioning the cement factory. Let's be honest here - if you owned a house/houses there and was trying to sell it/them would you make a big fuss over the cement factory?

It's really up to the prospective purchaser to find out what's being planned in a certain area. To be honest - if a cement factory was being built 5 miles from my house I don't think I would mention it if I was selling. Would you?

As for the estate agents - it's really up to them. If they have houses on their books in Uzumlu then they would be daft to mention it. However they could refuse to sell any houses in that area and that would stop them having to wrestle with their conscience.

That's why this type of forum is so valuable. Unfortunately not everyone finds us before they take the plunge.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 13:31:04 PM by stoop »

Offline elaina

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 14:59:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

Elaina

I'm pretty sure many of the agents/builders will continue to sell houses in Uzumlu without mentioning the cement factory. Let's be honest here - if you owned a house/houses there and was trying to sell it/them would you make a big fuss over the cement factory?

It's really up to the prospective purchaser to find out what's being planned in a certain area. To be honest - if a cement factory was being built 5 miles from my house I don't think I would mention it if I was selling. Would you?

As for the estate agents - it's really up to them. If they have houses on their books in Uzumlu then they would be daft to mention it. However they could refuse to sell any houses in that area and that would stop them having to wrestle with their conscience.

That's why this type of forum is so valuable. Unfortunately not everyone finds us before they take the plunge.

That's why we need to publicise this to potential purchasers - if the estate agents won't do it then we must after all how would you feel if you had signed up to puchase in Uzumlu and did not know.  Perhaps if they sell nothing they will realise they are "killing the goose that laid the golden egg" so to speak then they would think twice and realise they have more to lose than they will gain.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 15:04:32 PM »
and the people who are in Uzumlu and have their house up for sale, how will your publicity favour them?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 15:28:51 PM »
Elaina,

We have had lots and lots of posts on this topic and it has had very good publicity on the forum. I'm not saying you should not publicise it wherever you can but you cannot really expect Estate agents and sellers to warn people off the area.

As I said - there might be agents out there that would not carry Uzumlu properties on their books but those who have will continue to try and sell them. If they warn all their potental buyers against the area then they might as well remove them from their book. If that happens then nothing would sell at all up there and the place would die.

What needs to happen is the cancellation of the proposed factory and hopefully the publicity that apperas to be lined up might just have an effect.

Offline elaina

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 15:37:35 PM »
I think if the factory goes ahead the place will die anyway - I have a property there so I will be affected but if I was buying now I would want to know wouldn't you?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 15:40:31 PM »
Elaina - yes I would. On the contrary If I was selling I would not want it common knowlege. Would you?

Offline elaina

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 15:45:17 PM »
If I was selling my property then I would have to be honest with the person I was selling to - I am too honest maybe that's my problem but I have a conscience.

Offline Eric

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 16:51:40 PM »
Elaina,
I have had quite a few refferals back to me from people who are looking to buy here in Uzumlu.
They have asked their builders about the cement factory and some, if not all builders, are not giving them the truth. Some have been told within the last 2 weeks that it is not going ahead, others have been told it will enhance their properties value and others say it will not affect the area. Most of these builders use Urantas cement and seem fearful of upsetting the man.
I can understand your feelings and Stoops as its a no win situation for sellers and buyers.
The frustrating thing is that all Emlaks and builders have been asked to help stop this factory but only 2 Emlaks have done anything by way of contacting the working group and attending meetings. Not one builder has attended any meetings to offer help.
It will kill their businesses as no buyers will equal no sales but they seem unable or unwilling to see this. Short term gain!
If I am asked I will truthfully tell people the current situation and the proposed future activities planned but unfortunately the builders attitude is " If the buyer doesn't ask then we don't mention it".
As someone who has run my own business, in the past, I can partly understand this attitude but I cannot accept that they are unwilling to work with us to stop it.
Real shame, but the fight is now in the hands of the lawyers and we will not give up!
Thanks for everyones continuing support and keep sending out the letters.
Thanks
Fi

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 17:03:18 PM »
Fi,

Don't give up! It's a pity the builders and estate agents will not join your fight to have this stopped but I guess that's business - short sighted maybe but I guess they all have wives and kids to feed today as well as tomorrow.

I'm not picking the bones here but you did say 'If I am asked I will truthfully tell people the current situation'. So I take it if you were not asked you would not mention it . Don't get me wrong - I would do exactly the same - and I am not getting at you.

Good luck with the fight. I have emailed GMTV for you and I hope you get the publicity you need and want.

Stoop

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf