Author Topic: Heads in the sand!!  (Read 4115 times)

Offline The Crinklies

Heads in the sand!!
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
A disappointing turn out last night to the meeting regarding the latest developments about the proposed cement factory, has prompted this posting.

If you have chosen to live in this beautiful village and make your home here, as we have, please don't bury your heads in the sand & assume that your support won't count or is not needed.
If the cement factory goes ahead, it will affect everyone here in some form or other, which means it will affect you.

Please come and show your support for the villagers tomorrow at the protest rally in the Square at 11am. There will be media coverage and this is an opportunity to show the strength of feeling in the village and give a high profile to the situation, prior to the court proceedings.

Thank you.

The Crinklies

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 17:49:19 PM »
Hi Crinklies, we were there last night and saddened by the 'turn out' and thoroughly dismayed at the lack of Turkish interest.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better attended, otherwise we are going to look very silly.....

Amazing to leave the effort, for the good of all, to the few who bother.  Doesn't anyone care??

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 17:59:09 PM »
Guys - so sorry to hear that.   Rest assured had we have been in uzumlu we would have turned up to 'fight'.  Hope things picked up for the rally today.   Do let us know how it all went.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 18:03:18 PM »
Mum and two friends out there at the moment, so I've just phoned to send them along at 11.00 tomorrow morning !!!

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 18:17:36 PM »
Rindaloo, I think we all care, and whilst I can't talk for others, I genuinely believe a cement factory fatigue is setting in amongst the majority here - hence the poor turn out last night. This thing just goes on and on, and most probably will rumble on for several years. To be perfectly honest the whole thing is now simply boring.
I notice with interest your remark about the lack of Turkish interest!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 19:33:40 PM »
Hi Chris, As far as I know this thing has been going on for less than a year.  If we fail we will have to live with the results forever.  Sure there was a bad turn out.  Do we just give up?

There may be a logical reason for the lack of Turkish turnout.  Maybe they weren't kept well informed.  Maybe they don't visit the Calis beach forum to find out about these things.  Maybe because they don't have computers.  I am not making excuses, I am just considering the possibilities.  I am hoping some sort of announcement went out over the village speaker system today.  

I am hoping tomorrow goes well and that all of us in Uzumlu, and the surrounding areas, support those who have been putting so much effort in to trying to preserve this place as the beautiful area it is at present.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 20:08:46 PM »
Right on cue once again Mr. Tippett [:o]

Support it or don't support it, you can hardly call it "boring". What an odd choice of word.

Offline The Crinklies

Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 20:10:19 PM »
Re the lack of Turks at the meeting last night - I think I'm right in saying that the meeting was purely an update for the ex-pats ahead of the rally, as I understand that the rally will naturally be in Turkish.

Unlike some for whom apathy has set in at this early stage, we will be there to give our support alongside our Turkish neighbours.

The Crinklies

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 21:08:03 PM »
Scunner, I can assure you that something that drags on and on and on with little change one way or the other, where rumours on both sides gain credence then are rubbished, has the capacity to become very boring.

Offline bikerchickblonde

Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 22:18:26 PM »
Sorry cant be there - not back till Tuesday!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf