Author Topic: Heads in the sand!!  (Read 3979 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 23:14:33 PM »
It's hardly 'dragging on and on'. My recollection is it all started lees than a year ago.

If we were in Turkey tomorrow instead of next week then we would be attending.

Good luck to everyone who takes the time and makes the effort.

Offline Firo

Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
Ok, I have sat back and read the comments about the turnout and as the nominated Chair of us expats (committee to fight the Cement factory) I have a few things to say.

The turnout was extreemly poor on Thurs and not much better on Sat. Why I do not know, but I can only guess it is apathy or there was something more interesting on TV!

Chris Tippett you have not noticed the changes in 9 months because you cannot be bothered to attend any meetings called. I would say that from hearing the news, 9 months ago, to getting it to court in is quite a change!

"It's boring" I guess, to have to get off your backside to try and stop something that will devastate your living environment and health, is lazziness not boring, or is it that by not coming you will not have to donate any money to help pay the solicitors bill?
Leave it to the few who can be bothered!

Do you not think that there have been many times I could have thrown in the towel due to the lack of support but I pick myself up and carry on as I care greatly about Uzumlu, it is my home now and I will do whatever needed to try and help protect it.

One of the speakers yesterday who has done a huge research project on the effects cement factories have on the environment, stated that for ever 1 tonne of cement produced 1 tonne of carbon dioxide is produced and the plant proposed has the capacity to produce 1000 tonnes in 24 hours! Think of all those lovely dioxins floating about in the air for up to 40 kms and prehaps you can loose the apathy and start supporting the fight or does your health not bother you, after all you have only been asked to attend 1 meeting since Dec so its not too much to ask is it?

To all of you who did attend I thank you for your ongoing support.

Many thanks
Fi
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:35:59 PM by Firo »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
I assume Saturday was the same day as the calis carnival?

Offline Firo

Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »
It was but the parade did not start till 4pm I believe and the stalls etc were running till 7pm and the rally was in the morning in the square,so the ones who attended could do both if they wanted to.
Fi
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:33:07 PM by Firo »

Offline nicko

Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 16:30:17 PM »
Hi Fi and Eric
I fully understand and support your restrained response to the negative views on this topic. Apathy is the greatest enemy to any campaign. It is a great shame that there are some (or at least one) who are so cynical that they are prepared to use time and energy in such a negative way. If only they could channel their thoughts in a positive way you might find that some of the weight of campaigning was lifted from your shoulders as others took some of the strain.
I'm a great believer in the freedom of speech, so can't demand that people keep their views to themselves, but I do wish that those who appear to think that the cement factory is inevitable, would just lay back on their sun loungers, keeping their thoughts to themselves and wait for the dioxin to arrive, whilst you and others try to prevent this horror.
The vast majority of us (not just in Uzumulu) greatly appreciated the fantastic efforts you're making on our behalves.
Please keep up the campaign and remember that CND held it's first rally nearly 50 yrs ago and despite the cynics and critics they're still going strong. Before the cynics start, last I heard we'd not had a nuclear war!
See you on the barricades (or if no barricades necessary then a G&T at our place next week!)
Nick

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 19:44:22 PM »
Fi,like it or not apathy has set in, having said that the turn out on Sat seemed ok from where I was standing. If I felt I could make any difference in this debate I would; it is the Turks who will determine the outcome one way or the other. A list of donations would be interesting as I am sure I am not the only one not to have contributed. Fi, please do not assume you are the only one who cares about this village; we all do but you choose to organise a protest, others join in  and others don't. Also, we are all well aware of the health risks from a cement factory but re-stating the facts and figures at this stage will not increase support, just increase the apathy.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 19:55:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris tippett

the turn out on Sat seemed ok from where I was standing

It's too boring for you but you were there? Which is it?

I'm sure I could get you some work as a stand up comedian Chris

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Heads in the sand!!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 22:06:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris tippett

Fi,like it or not apathy has set in, having said that the turn out on Sat seemed ok from where I was standing. If I felt I could make any difference in this debate I would; it is the Turks who will determine the outcome one way or the other. A list of donations would be interesting as I am sure I am not the only one not to have contributed. Fi, please do not assume you are the only one who cares about this village; we all do but you choose to organise a protest, others join in  and others don't. Also, we are all well aware of the health risks from a cement factory but re-stating the facts and figures at this stage will not increase support, just increase the apathy.

I think things do need restating.  I don't understand how you can say it will increase apathy.  What a load of rot.  

Not quite sure where you are going with the donation comment.

I am sure you are right, we all care about what happens with the village.  But we should care enough to do something.  Not just sit back and wait and see.  Fi happens to be doing something but it seems her efforts are not appreciated by you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf