Author Topic: man/woman with van  (Read 13682 times)

Offline saoirse

man/woman with van
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 19:49:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

I would agree with Rindaloo re: butchers/grocers, he is expensive for groceries (10 ytl for kitchen roll!)and meat is not good.  And the other shops have a very limited selection (in my opinion).  If there are 10 in the party, and I assume there are children, then surely it is easier to stock up at the beginning for water,milk, soft drinks, nibbles, necessities and beers etc?  When you can buy an Efes in Tespo for 1.60ytl but get charged 2.40/2.50 in the village then the saving will be worth it. And who wants to have to nip to the shops every 2 minutes because you run out of something and then lug it back to the villa?  Not my idea of a relaxing holiday!

John, let me know your arrival date and if I'm around I'll nip you down so long as you don't spend all day there!

We have also bought steaks off him twice and they have been excellent both times. Every time I have went to him he has even given us a lift back to our house. I am all for using the local shops and by the time you drive/dolmus it to Fethiye you will have spent most of the savings anyway
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 20:42:43 PM by saoirse »

Offline peecee

man/woman with van
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 21:35:20 PM »
Saaoirse, in theory I would agree with you regarding supporting the local shops but I would say that if you are feeding 10 people for 1/2 weeks then shopping locally is not a viable option.  Fresh fruit/veggies only on a Friday, limited selection of provisions etc etc (Icim milk, yuk!)  It is the same as in the UK, you buy locally for bits and pieces but go to the main supermarket for the main 'shop'.
These poor people are just coming out for a quick and hopefully relaxing holiday and they've been subjected to local politics, who/what/where is best etc. etc.  Can't we just say 'welcome, have a good time in our lovely village'?

Offline peecee

man/woman with van
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 21:41:36 PM »
Saoirse, you say you have found a couple of things cheaper, what are they and which shop?  Every penny saved etc. etc.  Cheers

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 21:49:49 PM »
Hey, things hotting up and I'm not involved!! Imo follow Calvin's advice. Initially get essentials locally and then meet a friendly local who can run you down to Halkin's in Gunlukbashi - much nearer than Fethiye and imo just as good, esp for range of holiday stuff. Don't bother with Tespo's. Hope this helps.

Offline calvin 1949

man/woman with van
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 21:50:18 PM »
Too true peecee ,exactly my point,let them enjoy Uzumlu
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 22:06:12 PM by calvin 1949 »

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 21:56:40 PM »
One example - 1 litre of milk - village 2.5ytl, BIMs store - 1ytl. A massive saving esp if 10 people involved and this is just one item. I rarely shop in village now; prices just not competitive and no real choice as each shop sells exactly the same things! Best buy imo is the fresh baked bread in the bakery at 65 courush - bargain! Shame we can't get Lurpak slightly salted butter!

Offline kylkimry

man/woman with van
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 22:23:57 PM »
i could bring you some lurpak if i9 could find a way to pack it correctly,
i did not think this topic would stir so many emotions, but its all good info,how would i get to Halkin's in Gunlukbashi ???

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
man/woman with van
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 22:34:11 PM »
Mr Tippett Sir

It is very easy to make your own (local) butter salted - about a third of a teaspoon of salt should be dissolved in about 2 teaspoons of boiling water (don't add salt directly) then beat the solution into any butter. It won't immediately homogenise but with a bit of working in will do so very well. Then reform the butter into some or container or other.

The amount of salt can be adjusted to suit your taste.

See, I'm not just here to complain  ;)

Next lesson: Scunner's amazing home made crumpets (no honestly!).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
man/woman with van
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 22:35:16 PM »
I was also going to mention that salt is a natural preservative in butter, so it is a good idea for more than one reason  :)

Offline calvin 1949

man/woman with van
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 23:13:50 PM »
Impressed Mr Scunner sir

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf