Author Topic: Uzumlu Expat survey  (Read 8994 times)

Offline Firo

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 16:42:07 PM »
Calvin,
We have not instigated this "survey" but we have been asked for our opinions by the Mayor.
Thats all this is trying to do.
As far as all expats being consulted I can think of no other way to get their opinions apart from on here because a large number of those living here are members.
I can not win...if I had not posted it on here to try and let as many people as possible have a say then that would have been wrong also!
At least 60 people had a chance to express their views last night and I am just trying to let others have their say as well in the short time scale we are trying to work with.
We are not trying to push through changes to the Turkish way of life but we are responding to a request from the Mayor.

Hamilton I will express your views and concerns at the same time because they are very relevant.

Scorcher...where abouts in the village are you as most of the village area have now got better electric after they installed 3 transformers in the new year.I can then bring up your problem with reference to the area you live in.

Fi
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 16:45:19 PM by Firo »

Offline batman

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 17:35:54 PM »
Rindaloo, I take on board what you say and perhaps a pool tax would be a fairer way, who knows !

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 17:40:52 PM »
I know Dalaman was being charged like we are and after discussions with the Mayor, the system was changed to a fairer one.  At the moment even if you have a well to water your garden and fill the pool, you still pay 3 times as much as a non pool owning person for the water you use in your house.  Why US in Uzumlu and nowhere else?

I love this place and we moved here to be in a Turkish community.  All our neighbours are Turkish and they are lovely.  We really enjoy being here and certainly dont want to turn this place into a Little Britain.  But I do think there could be a better system for the pool owners.

The Mayor asked for our input on this.  

I would not agree with any heavy handed, ex pat changing the area-type activities though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 17:59:49 PM by Rindaloo »

Offline derek

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 19:35:59 PM »
On my very few visits to Uzumlu I have been aware of the speed traffic travels along the main road between both petrol stations. Could I suggest a slower speed limit.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 20:16:35 PM »
Dear Fi and Eric, good luck to you both but if you really think they will take any notice of us Brits then you really do live on Planet Zarg! This is, as you imply, simply a political gesture to conjure up votes for some local bureaucrat.
On point 4 I have offered to the Belidye to do English announcements on impotant issues, such as power cuts but have had no response. If something as simple as this is too difficult what chance with some of the others?
On points 5,6 and 7 more bins will just create more rubbish blowing around. If the Belidye cannot organise a simple rota for bin emptying in a small village, adding more bins will just add to the problem.
Until Turkey adopts the use of skips (hardly rocket science) then builders will simply tip the rubbish on the streets.
On point 8, if a sizeable population in Gunlukbasi does not have a bank/ATM then there is no chance up here. Let's get real.

Offline Firo

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 21:01:10 PM »
Chris,
We can but try  ;) but as the saying goes "time will tell". I'm not optomistic on him doing anything but he's asked so we should at least reply.
Cheers
Fi

Offline Familyguy

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 21:35:16 PM »
The only thing I would like (Being a home owner in Uzumlu) is translation at the Council House from Turkish to English when paying my bills. It would be helpful, nothing more, if I could see my invoice in English as well as turkish. Heck most of our council tax bills are in several languages in the UK

Offline friar tuck

Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 23:15:07 PM »
I hate the way the UK is being taken over by foreigners !!!! how many times have I heard that.........off people who have moved to Turkiye because of it !!!!!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 00:07:08 AM »
Yup, I know what you mean.  Also you hear people complain that foreigners in the UK stick with people of their own nationality and dont bother to learn English.  Well, what happens here.....

I like Uzumlu as it is.  We chose where we are, to be with Turkish people.  We are trying to learn Turkish, with limited success.  Our neighbours are lovely and involve us in what they are doing.  We are trying to be good neighbours and I think our efforts are appreciated.  I know the presence of Ex pats must have various impacts on the village.  But as ex pats we are all individuals and as such have different lifestyles here. SOme respect the Turkish ways, others don't seem to.

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Uzumlu Expat survey
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 00:41:36 AM »
Bloody hell, I agree with Rindaloo.

If you come into my house, don`t try to paint my walls a different colour or tell me what to plant in my garden.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf