Author Topic: Topic Locked!!!  (Read 8087 times)

Offline chris tippett

« on: September 14, 2008, 21:59:02 PM »
Popped out for a drink tonight and get back to see my 'Westernising" thread has gone beserk. Why has the thread been locked?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 22:01:28 PM »
Because it went beserk

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 19:02:17 PM »
Fair enough!!!!!

Offline corbindallas

Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 16:41:44 PM »
As a reader mainly rather than a contributor, I would love to know why mainly Uzumlu threads get very heated, personal and off the original topic. I like a lot of others imo, ask is it worth posting a thread on here for all this bickering, when the point is to get advice/information for people who live, holiday or want to move to this country. The negative posts give a very different picture to an area (and I don't just mean Uzumlu to this end)that is in fact a lovely country with very friendly people and a welcoming attitude whether you are a tourist or ex pat. I am not 100% sure who are moderators and who are not, but I can guess by comments made and to that end some moderators on here seem to enjoy nothing more than extending the negative issues rather than moderating topics back to their original posts and enforcing what this board is primarily about. Don't get me wrong I am all for freedom of speech but if someone has posted a specific topic why respond off line!Please Scunner correct me if I am wrong on this point.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 16:49:52 PM »
Please let me have an example of where "some moderators on here seem to enjoy nothing more than extending the negative issues rather than moderating topics back to their original posts and enforcing what this board is primarily about".

I would say that moderators are also members, and their views are as valid as anyone else's.

Offline corbindallas

Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 17:21:30 PM »
I would point to the 2 locked topics on the Uzumlu section as clear examples of this. I note that moderators are members and have views perhaps that is where this gets a bit messy especially when their responses are off the original posted topic and imo negative. But if this is how it is then so be it, as stated it gives a negative view to some original topic posts that I would be more interested in seeing CBF members responses to the original topic rather than continuous off topic bickering with each other which is just plan gossiping, (or have I got this board wrong) if moderators/ members  want this why don't they post their own topics rather than detract from meaningfull responses to relevant posts (again the locked ones where 2 specific topics that ended up off topic and negative) thus locked I presume but the original posters put the topic on for a specific reason and now find their thread locked because of this, but my comments do not only apply to locked topic threads.Has Fi got a useful valid response to her topic post, to see what ex pats want in Uzumlu, to pass onto the mayor or has Fi's post got a load of negative off topic responses and now a locked post because of this, I hope you see my point.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 17:30:23 PM »
I see your point but as you seem to detect negativity, so do I in your contributions. The forum gave Fi's request great interest, and it also provides a direct link to her for anyone wishing to inform her of things ex pats would like to see in Uzumlu. I also take on board your comments about off topic posts, it's fairly valid in an ideal World. Without becoming a teacher/naughty pupil relationship between moderators and members I can't see a way of keeping things 100% on topic, and I further don't see why subjects can't go off at tangents once the intended points have been made.

Everyone has an idea of how best the forum should be run, we do appear to please most of the people most of the time and we're happy enough with that.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 17:39:08 PM »
Andrew,

I can see your point as well. I think one of the topics you refer to was locked by me. Personally I would like to see all the 'off topic' stuff deleted from that thread and it re-opened as it is obviously an important topic to Uzumlu residents.

Unless anyone has any objections I will 'clean it up' and re-open it.

Scunner?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 17:50:41 PM »
I suppose the surprise return of one CBF lost soul in the middle of it didn't help - that could have been in any topic but I'll take the criticism for my part in that. Feel free Stoop, lets try again  :)

Offline corbindallas

Topic Locked!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 17:56:41 PM »
Thanks for that, sorry that you see my contribution to be a bit negative it's not meant to be otherwise I would not waste yours and my time on raising this issue in the first place. Understand the point on trying to please everyone, and also not crashing the board with rules, just hope some think before they post off topic as we think the majority could always be a bigger majority with better topic content and positive feedback responses? Me and my partners thoughts on this only but I am sure others think the same?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf