Author Topic: artesian wells  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
artesian wells
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 20:45:50 PM »
Stop when you see a kangaroo

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
artesian wells
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 21:01:13 PM »
mine was 1500 lira at 43 metres

Offline geordieboy

artesian wells
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
We had a well dug when we first moved out here,3metres in diameter,25metres deep,took 3 guys about a month to do it,all by hand.Cost me a fortune in fags,tea,and biscuits. :).
But seriously,money well spent,I believe to have a well done now I heard was about £4,000.Have'nt said that I heard that new wells in Ovacik is now verboten.
The downside when the well was completed was I was informed that it was traditional to sacrafice a goat,and scatter its blood around the well.I was'nt sure whether the wellie men were taking the mick or not,but I agreed.The goat was bought and tethered by the well,the local butcher arrived to do the deed,and it seemed half the village arrived to witness the event.In the midst of all this my wife arrived back from Fethiye and demanded to know why half the village and a goat were in her back garden,when I explained she went ballistic,told me to chuck all the Turks over the wall,and give the goat to that nice Turkish couple up the road.
The goat had its throat cut,the well was blooded,the goat was butchered,and divided up between the wellie men and the butcher,I recieved a leg,did'nt dare give that to the wife,walked up the road and chucked it at the first stray dog.Is there a sacrafice when they do a bore hole.? :).

Offline Firo

artesian wells
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 19:32:15 PM »
We know 4 people who have had artesian wells dug in Uzumlu and the average price seems to be about 3500 YTL and the depth is about 70+ mts. Too deep for men to dig so it's usually a big drilling rig and takes about 4 days of lots of noise.
Fi

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
artesian wells
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by geordieboy

We had a well dug when we first moved out here,3metres in diameter,25metres deep,took 3 guys about a month to do it,all by hand.Cost me a fortune in fags,tea,and biscuits. :).
But seriously,money well spent,I believe to have a well done now I heard was about £4,000.Have'nt said that I heard that new wells in Ovacik is now verboten.
The downside when the well was completed was I was informed that it was traditional to sacrafice a goat,and scatter its blood around the well.I was'nt sure whether the wellie men were taking the mick or not,but I agreed.The goat was bought and tethered by the well,the local butcher arrived to do the deed,and it seemed half the village arrived to witness the event.In the midst of all this my wife arrived back from Fethiye and demanded to know why half the village and a goat were in her back garden,when I explained she went ballistic,told me to chuck all the Turks over the wall,and give the goat to that nice Turkish couple up the road.
The goat had its throat cut,the well was blooded,the goat was butchered,and divided up between the wellie men and the butcher,I recieved a leg,did'nt dare give that to the wife,walked up the road and chucked it at the first stray dog.Is there a sacrafice when they do a bore hole.? :).

:D:D  Theres one born every minute :D:D  lovely story !!

Offline mr efes

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 17:55:13 PM »
firo my relatives from uzumlu are interested in having a quote for an artisian well could you possibly email me the contact details of the people who did your job,as my turkish friend has rang the guy who did tinks well but twice already he has not shown up in uzumlu.thanks efes.

Offline Firo

artesian wells
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 17:43:45 PM »
Will try to get you a number but as I said it was friends who had it done. Will let you know.
Fi

Offline mr efes

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 17:47:17 PM »
thanks alot fi.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
artesian wells
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 17:59:20 PM »
For the technically minded.

What most of us have , or want, are in fact boreholes. Boreholes need pumps, artesian wells don't.

An artesian well allows water to rise to the surface that has traveled through porous rock from a higher elevation. This pumpless well seems to defy gravity because the pressure that builds up between layers of rock gets relieved when the water finds a path to the open air. For nearly a thousand years, people have drilled wells to drink such cold, filtered water that doesn't need to be hauled up from the depths.

An aquifer provides the water source for an artesian well. An aquifer is the layer of permeable rock, like limestone or sandstone, that absorbs water from an inlet path at high elevation such as the top of a mountain. The water source might be fed by snowmelt or precipitation. Porous stone is sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of an impermeable substance like clay soil or shale rock. This keeps the water pressure high, so that when you get to a point below the entryway of the flow, there is enough pressure to bring the water up. Natural springs form in the same way when a gap in the impermeable rock, maybe triggered by an earthquake, allows the water to rise to the surface.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:39:52 AM by KKOB »

Offline friar tuck

artesian wells
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 00:00:45 AM »
Thanks KKOB so what is an Orson Wells ?? :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf